sizing again

leanne
leanne Posts: 26
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
please help i have been to three different dealers to get sized up i am 5,10 tall with an inside leg of 31.5inches i am currently looking at the specialized allez elite and i am torn between a 54 and a 56 cm, i made a mistake 3 years ago on some bad advice when buying a 58cm trek for over a 1000 pound and do not want to make the same mistake again.Two dealers said 54 one said 56 iwould be thankful on any help given thanks

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Ask for a test ride and go with the one that feeld best
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • leanne
    thanks for that ,i did travel 50 miles to look at the bikes and was still left unsure, so by just looking at the measurements could i push you for an opinion please; thanks
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    You need to take more than height and inside leg into consideration. Everyone is different - arms, torso, flexibility. What is right for one person may be wrong for another of the same height and inside leg.

More important is the top tube measurement as there's only so much you can tinker with saddle fore/aft and stem length. Saddles can be riased/lowered more.

Given that you've admitted that you've made one expensive mistake previously, it's better that you test ride (or get a proper fitting), even if it means another 50 mile trip,than ask the opinion on a forum.

Not what you want to hear, maybe, but it's the only real option.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'd go for the 54cm. Smaller is better,
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    I recently got an Allez Elite, I'm 5'7" and went for a 54, initially thought I was a 52 but I have long arms and after being fitted the bigger frame fit me better.

Not much help I know but just trying to prove the need to be fitted correctly, I'd have ordered the 52 without that help.
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    Have a look at this bike fitting guide. As suggested be sure to test ride a much as possible before buying a new bike. DOn't just ride iit but adjust the saddle and handle bar height a few times during your tests.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    chill123 wrote:
    Have a look at this bike fitting guide. As suggested be sure to test ride a much as possible before buying a new bike. DOn't just ride iit but adjust the saddle and handle bar height a few times during your tests.

That is not a very good guide for someone looking for a road bike.

Try this one:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm
  • SeanT
    SeanT Posts: 51
    I'm the same size as you 5'10 with relatively short legs 31" inside leg. I ride with a saddle height of 71cm centre of the bottom bracket to top of saddle.

From my experience you could probably get a good fit on either bike. The 56cm will have a taller head tube however and you might not be able to get the bars low enough for an efficient position if you race or do short fast rides.

I have a Large Look frame with 56cm top tube length, and a medium Giant TCR with a 55cm top tube. Both fit well with 110mm stem but even with no headset spacers the front of the Look is still quite high. (About a 5cm drop from saddle to top of bars) This is great stable handling bike for long Sportive rides where comfort is important. The TCR has shorter top tube and head tube, and I can ride with up to 9cm drop to the bars which is great for more aggressive riding.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Garry H wrote:
    chill123 wrote:

That is not a very good guide for someone looking for a road bike.

Try this one:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Even better is this one - it gives you every measurement you'd want:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    When I bought my first road bike, I went with the recommendations of two different LBS, which agreed with an online fitting guide, and although I love the bike, I sometimes wish the reach was a little less. I may get a shorter stem in the future, although the current stem is pretty short, so I'm not sure how much difference it would make and whether it would affect the handling. But when I come to buy another bike, I'll go with my gut instinct rather than what people tell me I should do, and go for the smaller frame.

Just my experience, but probably a vote for the smaller frame option.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    For what's it's worth, if you are buying a frame with a horizontal top tube, one of the
    main things is to not get so large a frame that the top tube is jammed into your crotch,
    when you stand on the pavement, straddling the bike, with your cycling shoes on.
    This is real basic frame sizing stuff but still has a bearing on size selection. Try
    straddling some bikes at your local shop to get an idea of this and, if it's top tube is
    jammed up there, try a couple of sizes down. This is not the total frame answer but
    will give you a good starting point. If it's a compact frame you're after then forget all this.

Dennis Noward
  • leanne
    thanks for all the replies took the 54 and the 56 on a test ride and knew straight away the 54cm was for me so bought it there and then a few ajustments to the seat post and i was away the proud owner of the allez elite, again thanks for all the help