21 speed bike gears clicking, help please.

Mr.Pants
Mr.Pants Posts: 3
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello, I am new here and am looking for a bit of help,

so I got a new 21 speed bike, a Raleigh Tora 26-in MTB for my birthday.

the specs are:

# Dual-suspension, aluminum frame mountain bike
# 21-speed Shimano with new-style EF50 Shimano EZ-Fire shifters
# V-style linear pull brakes
# Selle Royal saddle
# Alloy seat post and quick-release seat clamp
# 26" tires

here's link if you want to check it out: http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... earch=true

Anyways, I like it so far, there's only one thing, and that's my question to any of you who might know a bit about bikes is this,

The gears are new to me, they have a left shifter which goes 1-2-3, and a right shifter which goes 1-2-3-4-5-6-7. Now, I know that 3-7 is hardest, 1-1 is easiest gear, but I have a problem, when I go above gear 1 on left 4 on right, the gears make a soft clicking sound, (The sound is continuous, not just when im shifting, it continues until I go back below gear 1 left 4 right, it dosn't click at all for gears 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 or 1-4.) not so much that it would bug me, however I am worried that I am shifting incorrectly or something, and don't want to damage the bike in anyway.

So, is the clicking normal? Is it suppose to do that, or am I doing something wrong? (I have tried shifting in every possible combination, i think, but I could be wrong) Or worse, is there something wrong with the bike?

Any advice or help would be appreciated thanks!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Thing is you don't need to use every single combo of gears that are available. Imagine the line the chain takes from the front to the back - in the lowest gear it is relatively straight, in the highest gear it is also relatively straight. But if you use the small cog at the front, and the small cogs at the back, the chain skews at an angle - this can cause noise and wears things out in no time. You can replicate this gear by using the middle chainring, and a middle cog, again, making a straight line.

Could also be that your gears need fine tuning. Park Tools website has a good guide.
  • Mr.Pants
    Mr.Pants Posts: 3
    im not sure if im understanding this. I dont have a very large understanding as to how the gears work, I dont know what a cog is, is that the ring with the teeth that the chain wraps around?

If so, I guess you mean like, dont be in like gear 1-7, cause that will cause it to not be straight, right? Then I guess 3-7 is ok? Cause it clicks still in 3-7. Im just new to all of this. thanks for the help thus far.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The chainrings (or front cog if you like) are the front spiky round things that are attatched to your pedals and cranks, the cassette cogs are the rear spiky round things that are attatched to the rear wheel.

Using the smallest of the two together, or the largest together causes the chain to be at an angle. Avoid these combos.

Maybe it needs booking in for a service? Most new bikes get a free one.