Pyrenees and Biarritz advice required

RyanBrook
RyanBrook Posts: 195
edited June 2008 in Tour & expedition
My girlfriend and I are planning holidaying in Biarritz at one of the local campsite. For the first 9 or 10 days we plan to just stay in the one spot and enjoy the beach and surfing. Then we are hoping to hire a car for 5 or 6 days and then cycling some of the pyrenean hotspots such as the Toumalet etc. Any route ideas that we could follow, we are currently thinkng of doing a round trip back to Biarritz to fly back out from there. Is this the best bet? We are flying hoping to fly out 21st and return on the 6th or 7th Sept.
Also if you know any good activities or trips in or around Biarritz it would be goo to hear.
Thanks

Comments

• Mombee
    Mombee Posts: 170
    Hi,

last year I cycled the west end of the Pyrennees and have a suggestion...
    if you base yourself in Argeles-Gazost (http://www.argeles-gazost.com/fr,situation.html)
    you have 'easy' access to the Tourmalet and Aubisque... and it looks like the Hautacam.

If you're after a fairly French experience then the PMU bar in the centre of town offers good accomodation and food at a good price.

Cheers, Mombee.

PS - The blog here that I did so that the boys could track how I was doing shows some of the pictures:
    http://mombeetour.blogspot.com/2007/07/high-point.html
    http://www.mombee.com ... more than just bikes.
    Cannondale CAADX Disc
  • RyanBrook
    That seems perfect. Ive just realised this is where a lot of the Etape guys will be based next month, I pulled this from a site:

"This puts us close to the start in Pau, at the base of the finish at Hautacam, and in the heart of classic Pyrenean cycling for the days leading up to L'Etape. We will be acclimatising ourselves to the mountains on the Cols of l'Aubisque, Soulor, Luz-Ardiden, as well as previewing the climbs of the Tourmalet and Hautacam. We are also within striking distance of the Cols of Marie-Blanque, Pourtalet (into Spain), l'Aspin, and the Peyresourd.

There is more than just epic cycling to be done in and around Argeles-Gazost. We are just outside the Donjon des Aigles and Pyrenean National Parks, and next to all manner of mountain sports, including hill walking, rafting, mountain biking, horse riding, and para-gliding."

Thanks!

I'll check your blog out when I get home from work.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I've cycled the coast road from the Spanish border up to Biarritz (with four panniers and a bar bag). It is classic "corniche" (i.e. coastal switchback) and quite fun, but it was VERY busy with seaside traffic (mid July, midday!). I got the impression, though, that a lot of local cyclists use it for their training rides either early in the morning or late at night.

Otherwise, you could ride up to St Jean Pied de Port for a not too taxing climb, a substantial lunch in pleasant surroundings and very agreeable descent.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• ian_oli
    ian_oli Posts: 763
    How about the Raid Pyreneen. 100 Hours from Hendaye (Atlantic Border with Spain) to Cerbere (Med border with Spain) crossing most of the big passes.

Failing that there is great cycling of all sorts from a base on the coast or a little inland. Everything from dead flat up by Dax to the most legripping climbs of the lot on some of the minor roads SE of St Jean Pied au Port, with some easy mountains in between - esp. over the Spanish border.
  • shawn
    shawn Posts: 62
    I spent the summer in the Biarritz area 2 summers ago. Be careful in that in the peak season the campsites get booked up very quickly. There is a camping option at the Youth Hostel, but you may well need to book.
    We ended up up camping in Capbreton, which was fantastic, very local and low key with great surfing and swimming beaches and a fantastic temporary cafe on the dunes overlooking the motorhome parking area.
    Hossegar is also a good option, beaches are great and excellent surfing vibe. There is a local cycling club that meets several mornings a week, think it was Tuesday and Thursday mornings in the car park of a bar on the "main" road between capbreton and hossegor. I think it is around 9 or 10, they also meet on the weekends, really nice people and they obviously know the roads and there is fantastic cycling going south east away from this area near the river running eastwards from Biarritz/Bayonne. Crossing the river you get really nice lumpy foothills.
    The cycling club did a randonee when we were there and for 3 euros you got a bacon baguette and a glass of wine, they really looked after us.
    If you are into shopping, there are retail parks for carhart, quiksilver, rip curl and all the surfing brands on the outskirts of Hossegor with amazingly good deals to be had - the area is the European headquarters for these brands so you'll see some pretty famous surfers there to.
    So, I'd go down Capbreton/Hossegor way and then do a cycle day trip into Biarritz. Then like you say, head into the mountains for a few days.
  • RyanBrook
    Our flights are now booked with Ryanair, cant wait. We fly out on the 21st Aug and return on the 6th Sept. I'll check out the places suggested they sound perfect.

Ryanair did take the micky a little with there charges. Our baggage costs are £37 each way. From an initial price with fees and charges included of £60 return we are now paying £140 each. £25 for the bikes is a bit steep when you consider the bikes will be packed away in bike bags. Anyway its all paid now so dont need to worry about that part anymore.

We still need to book our accommodation. We will probably spend a few nights in a chalet and a few camping.

When we are ready to move into the mountains we are planning to hire a car for a few days as this seems the only practical way.

I'm lucky enough to be going to the alps for a 9 days to cycle and catch the tour in July so hopefully I'll be in ok shape for the pyrenees.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Ryanair always take the mickey with their charges! It's how they make money.
  • fenski
    fenski Posts: 119
    Last year we camped in Luz St Saveur which is at the foot of the Tourmalet and Luz Ardiden. The Col D'Aubisque isn't quite near too.

Your also close to the Cirque Du Gavarnie which is well worth a visit.

We were there in June and it wasn't too busy - I guess in August might be busier because the French holiday season will have kicked in.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    We had our family holiday down there a couple of years ago,& did a week in the Pyrenees,then a week just south of Biarritz,for the kids.
    In the Pyrenees,Argeles Gazost is the ideal place to base yourselves,as you can do a good number of rides without having to use a car (once you are there)
    Circular routes include The Tourmalet,I recommend tackling it from the Luz St Savieur side
    Also you can do a good circuit taking you over the Souleur/Aubisque climb.
    for straight out rides you've got the Hautacam,& not too far to Luz Ardiden
    Altogether an awesome area,one of my favourites....enjoy!
    so many cols,so little time!