What cleaning stuff should i get ?

Baz C
Baz C Posts: 29
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
I've had my new bike a couple of weeks now and it's in need of a good clean,what i'm unsure of is what are the essential cleaning products that i should have? i'll be going to the bike shop tomorrow so i'm looking to make up a list of stuff that i should buy.

p.s i don't have loads of cash to spend as the car is in the garage having a new turbo fitted :evil: (i already have a bike cleaner spray).

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Some decent brushes wouldn't go amiss, but I'm sure you could make do with a cheapo washing up brush and a nail brush. If you have cleaner/degreaser then that's great but you could do with a water disperser such as GT85 to use on the chain before lubing it.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • fcumok
    fcumok Posts: 283
    White spirit on your chain usually does the trick. Washing up liquid for the rest of it. If you have disc brakes i'd recommend getting some disc brake cleaner. My brakes no longer squeak since I bought it!
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    clean your disc brakes with methalated spirit, tons cheaper and works very well.

Fenwicks concentrate is a cheaper and IMO better cleaner then muc off.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    Sparkle. keeps it sparkling :)
  • fcumok
    fcumok Posts: 283
    Dav1 wrote:
    clean your disc brakes with methalated spirit, tons cheaper and works very well.

Fenwicks concentrate is a cheaper and IMO better cleaner then muc off.

I'll try that out on my brakes thanks
  • Give your bike a bloomin good layer of car polish, it makes cleaning so much easier. Also, clean it before the muck dries on, I can often get away with no soap and just cold water from the hose pipe, then make sure you use gt85 or wd40 to get the water out of your chain/cables so they don't rust. Alternatively take your bike in the house and park it next to a nice cosy radiator!!!! :oops:
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    I use car wax and to finish off I spray Back To Black over everthing
    But NOT on the brakes and disks.

Just see the mud fall of when you hose it off and will keep the bike looking new.

Yes back to black is used on car bumpers
  • Baz C
    Baz C Posts: 29
    I've got to admit i thought i would have to spend few quid to get stuff that keeps my bike in good order, but after reading the posts i now know that there are a lot of other ways to keep my bike dirt free with stuff that i already have lying in the garage. :D

P.S What is the best way to clean the front & rear mech ? as they appear to be quite awkward .
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    Try Autoglm Extra Gloss Protection on the paint work. Its a synthetic sealant - like wax but man made so much harder wearing. I use this on my 350z before applying wax and it makes it much much easier to clean. For best results apply, leave over night to harden and buff off. 2 coats every 4-6months should do it. Its really easy to apply too. Bet the mud will just fall off after that!

Dont use polish as polish by nature is abrasive and takes off a small layer of paint (or clearcoat on cars) to reduce the hairline scrates that you get. I dont think you need this on a bike. Use a sealant as above or a wax to shop the mud sticking :)
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team