full bike service

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
if i get my bike fully serviced at local bike shop it is over £70.00, i think my trek pilot 1.0 has sealed bearings in wheels, bottom bracket and headset.
so apart from checking for wear and tightness thease items dont need greasing just replacing if they get worn is this about right. if so how many miles will they do before replacing

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    I think you will find your Trek has loose bearings in the wheel hubs and headset and a sealed Bottom Bracket assembly. So a"full" service would require a fair amount of work.
    Find out exactly what they will do in a full service before committing yourself.
    Personally i think it would be better to get yourself a good maintenance book and a few basic tools and do your own servicing, there is nothing difficult if you go about it in a logical manner.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • andy610
    andy610 Posts: 602
    the headset on my trek is a aheadset slimstak w/semi- cartridge bearings sealed
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    my LBS wouldn't give a price on a service, as he said there might not be much to do as i had only done about 400 miles on a new bike. When i went to pick it up he said he had checked everything and had only had to adjust cables. Cost ...

a fiver :shock: :D
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    Bearings usually last many years before they need changing so don't bother with any servicing just check over your bike regularly for early signs of wear and adjustment. It is rare for bikes to suddenly go wrong and there is usually plenty of warning when something needs attantion.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I reckon that a "full service" should only be needed if you've done thousands of miles on your steed and have noticed that squeaks, creaks etc. are proliferating despite your best efforts. I've got a niggly squeak from my bottom bracket area that might mean my pedals need tightening, or it could be a sign of something else entirely - I just don't know so I'm gonna take my bike in (it's only done 400 miles so it is probably just "bedding in" but I don't want to take the chance).

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm an inveterate fiddler so I do all my own maintenance on 2 cars and 3 bikes (mine plus 2 teenagers) Highly recommended. Just traced a bit of creaking to the crank / BB which just needed tightening a bit. Silence restored at no cost at all.
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    I I've got a niggly squeak from my bottom bracket area that might mean my pedals need tightening, or it could be a sign of something else entirely - I just don't know so I'm gonna take my bike in (it's only done 400 miles so it is probably just "bedding in" but I don't want to take the chance).

I had this when I got my new bike. It started after my first ride in rain and water lying on the roads, and turned out to be caused by the bottom bracket not being greased properly - a common problem, I understand. I took it back to the LBS to be sorted, and haven't had the problem since. My partner's bike (also new, and the same as mine) has started the same thing, so that will be going in soon.