Endurance Training and Energy Foods and Drinks

Benji77
Benji77 Posts: 19
Hi,

I'm currently trainning for my first Endurance ride.. 100 miles over 2 days. I'm riding 2 to 3, 45 to 60 min sessions midweek and then 1, 3 hour session at the weekend.

- Is this enough?
- Are my sessions long enough?

Also,
- Whats peoples opinion on energy bars and drink?
- On this trip, how often should I be eating?
- I'm planning on taking bananas and dried apricots, is there anything else?

Cheers...

Comments

• epicpeaks
    epicpeaks Posts: 4
    You can get by with that. Midweek sessions I'd add some intensity to maximize your training.

Also if you're riding 2 days back to back, try to add a weekend block of back to back training day. It will help you understand the needs for the event

You should definitely be taking more food. On average 350 calories per hour (depending on weight and what you can tolerate) Head to a bike shop and look for some liquid supplements, gels and bars. Find a decent combination that your body can tolerate and use it in your training prior to your event (don't use anything new at an event!).
    Epic Peaks Coaching
    Coaching for the Endurance Racer
    http://www.epicpeaks.com
    My Blog:
    http://www.jasonhilimire.com
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    I use a lot of the SIS stuff and cant reccomend that any more really
    including the horrable gel bars also the energy bars good flavours
    and never felt sick taking any of them.
  • ACDCwmb
    ACDCwmb Posts: 225
    For any long rides or events I use High 5 energy drink mixed at around 70%, during the ride I use SIS gels, usually about 1 every 30-40 mins depending on how hard I'm riding.

30 mins before the ride I have 750ml of 100% energy drink and a powerbar.

I find it very hard to eat "real" food on a very hard fast ride, just can't stomach it. But I always try to get a banana down me at some point.
    [url]uttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3644058624_66a72402ee.jpg/]Hardtail[/url]