On-One Bikes

bryngstring
bryngstring Posts: 16
edited June 2008 in MTB buying advice
Any body got a On-One bike, thinking about getting a new cross country frame and I've come across this bike company. I no they are made in Doncaster and they are steel frames
but what do they ride like.

Comments

• papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    don't think you'll find many people that have a bad word to say about them. though at the mo you'll have trouble getting one as they're all out of stock - the inbred 456 (can take either a 4,5,6 inch fork) the Scandals also worth a look if you don't want steel or fancy a 29er. And if you got loads of cash to burn the TI inbred is getting loads and loads of good reviews, even if its bendy top tube is a marmite thing.
  • they have a inbred frame for £129.99
  • papasmurf.
    yeah sorry was saying the 456 is outta stock.

they also do the groupsets at pretty good rates if you want to buiold a frame up
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    they regularly get high marks in tests. get one.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    They may be designed and marketed in Doncaster, but they're made in the far east - like almost all the big brand bikes.

Never ridden one, but they have many satisfied customers.
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    I have an original geared inbred frame and it's easily the best hardtail I've ever ridden: strong, fantastic handling, and intelligent geometry (long top tubes good for climbing and descending). Most people love their Inbreds; sure you would too.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • willturd
    willturd Posts: 42
    popped over to their warehouse today, am pretty eager to get my hands on the 456ti. its immense, but big bucks!
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I'm fighting the urge to buy one of those myself.

There's no way in hell I need one - having three MTBs already - but the idea keeps popping back into my head.

And I don't even like the curved top tube!
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    can any one post a linky so i can see the bikes you are talking about. :lol:
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • papasmurf.
    on one can be found at err http://www.on-one.co.uk/
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    ok ok i was up till stupid-o-clock mopping up cat piss from my bath room.
    Ill go sit in hte corner and look at the nice bikes...... why does that just sound wrong.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • willturd
    sorry if i appear to be stealing your thread bikerbaboon! but as we are on the topic of on-one...

the budget for my new bike was firmly guarded at 1k! 1k for a hardtail, i was guaranteed a sweet bike! i narrowed down my favs to a merlin malt4, rocklobster, or a on-one scandal/456.

but having gone to on-one to try out a scandal, i couldnt help but have a cheeky look at the 456ti! i only saw the frame...but i fell in LOVE, i want it, i need it!!! can i justify splashing out?!? im not gunna race it, i have been riding all my life, but am no advanced trail geek! would i be able notice the difference of proclaimed, "best ever hardtail"? with xt groupset forks etc im looking at around 1800!!!!! 800 in the red!

CAN I JUSTIFY SPENDING THAT MUCH MORE ON A WEEKEND BIKE?!? HELP ME PLEASE!

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -08--31339
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    You've read the review :wink: you know what to do.

personally i'd say no but i'm not emotionally attached and when you really want a bike nothing should stand in your way. It should last you a damn long time.
  • willturd
    hmmm...should 800 english pounds stand in my way though?!

i would also have to sacrifice some plush sus forks for on-ones carbon rigid jobbies... for a future upgrade, when i get some more cash!

how does this weigh up?!
  • willturd
    does anyone know of someone owning the on one 456ti on this forum?!

2393162944_2e6bb517e4.jpg
  • andyturner28
    andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
    I'v got a 456 and i love it. It was bought just to keep me happy while i saved for a full suss, but i like it so much i'm not in so much of a hurry anymore. The geometry is spot on with my Pike 456 and with a 65mm stem it is just as much fun going up as it is down. I wasn't shure at first, then i rode a freind's and just wanted it right then! It's the only bike i have rode where it just feels right as soon as you get on it; with so many other bikes it takes a while to get used to, but not On-One's. The 456 is only £148 so you can't really go wrong. And if you don't like it then demand is so high you could probably sell it on again at a profit! The ti has exactly the same geometry as the "normal" 456, so i can just imagine how much better that is being so much lighter!

Andy.
  • Andyturner28 - any idea of the weight of your 456? 30-31lb with pikes and quite burly kit?
  • andyturner28
    Andyturner28 - any idea of the weight of your 456? 30-31lb with pikes and quite burly kit?

Well just from standing on the scales with and without bike, around 14kg. Not sure what that is in ibs, never been good at maths :roll: Maybe someone with a few more brain cells could convert that for me :)
    Like you said though, i do have some burly kit, like the wheels, fork, stem and bars as i built at as an all rounder because i am working up to hitting some much bigger stuff with it, so you could build it a lot lighter if you wanted to. Fox forks for example are a about a lb lighter alone, but then they do cost a hell of a lot more!
  • Andyturner28 - any idea of the weight of your 456? 30-31lb with pikes and quite burly kit?

Well just from standing on the scales with and without bike, around 14kg. Not sure what that is in ibs, never been good at maths :roll: Maybe someone with a few more brain cells could convert that for me :)
    Like you said though, i do have some burly kit, like the wheels, fork, stem and bars as i built at as an all rounder because i am working up to hitting some much bigger stuff with it, so you could build it a lot lighter if you wanted to. Fox forks for example are a about a lb lighter alone, but then they do cost a hell of a lot more!

about 31lb roughly. Mine was about that with heavey duty wheels on- really noticed the difference once they were changed. How do you find the Pike's work with the frame? I've got RS revelations and they feel about perfectfor general trail riding at 120mm, but the forks temselves seem to work better at full travel- the 130mm makes it tough on the climbs though- how do you find the pikes at 140mm when it comes to climbing?

The more I ride it the more I can't believe what a bargain it is at £150. I was looking at building up a scandal to run more lightweight and have the choice of the 2, but the 456ti has the benefits of both... very tempting
  • willturd
    exactly the same predicament im in, although your talking a substantial for the ti, would i end up regretting it if i didnt splash the cash!??

is the geometry the same on the 456, to the 456ti? what size frame u end up with? im average build 5.7", i was recommended the 16" frame.

[/quote]
  • I'm 5'9" but with long arms and legs, the 18" with a shortish stem works fine, although I doubt that the 16" would be too small (just a bit cramped and needing a longer stem). If I was a little shorter or with a shorter inside leg I'd probably feel like the 18" was a little too long.

The way I look at is that the Ti frame would be perfect, but I can't justify spending a grand on a frame when that grand would buy a complete 456 steel frame with great kit, or if you want light weight a great alu lightweight hardtail. Still doesn't stop you knowing that it'd be as close to 'a bit of everything' as you could probably get!
  • andyturner28
    Andyturner28 - any idea of the weight of your 456? 30-31lb with pikes and quite burly kit?

about 31lb roughly. Mine was about that with heavey duty wheels on- really noticed the difference once they were changed. How do you find the Pike's work with the frame? I've got RS revelations and they feel about perfectfor general trail riding at 120mm, but the forks temselves seem to work better at full travel- the 130mm makes it tough on the climbs though- how do you find the pikes at 140mm when it comes to climbing?

The more I ride it the more I can't believe what a bargain it is at £150. I was looking at building up a scandal to run more lightweight and have the choice of the 2, but the 456ti has the benefits of both... very tempting

To be honest i haven't touched the u-turn knob that much, and not at all since i swaped the 40mm stem for a 65mm, and just keep it at 140mm all the time. I find it too much hassle having to stop and wind it down, then stop at the top again and wind it back up to 140! i wish RS did the same as the Magara Wotang which has on the fly travel adjustment, then i would use it all the time. When i did the South Downs Way i did run it at 120mm for some of the very long climbs, but then kept forgetting to put it back to 140 for the downs so didn't bother the rest of the time, and i tried it at 95mm in Blean once, which was darty to say the least. was hard to keep it in a streight line!

Oh and when you reduce the travel, the spring is compressed which makes it feel a lot harder, which is another reason why i don't change it that much.

Right, i am off to fit my new 203mm front disc :D

Andy.
  • I like my inbred single speed so much I bought the same frame for a geared bike.

Buy one you can't go wrong with their frames, if you don't like it you'll sell it without loosing too much as well.

To be honest i haven't touched the u-turn knob that much, and not at all since i swaped the 40mm stem for a 65mm, and just keep it at 140mm all the time. I find it too much hassle having to stop and wind it down, then stop at the top again and wind it back up to 140! i wish RS did the same as the Magara Wotang which has on the fly travel adjustment, then i would use it all the time. When i did the South Downs Way i did run it at 120mm for some of the very long climbs, but then kept forgetting to put it back to 140 for the downs so didn't bother the rest of the time, and i tried it at 95mm in Blean once, which was darty to say the least. was hard to keep it in a streight line!

Oh and when you reduce the travel, the spring is compressed which makes it feel a lot harder, which is another reason why i don't change it that much.

Right, i am off to fit my new 203mm front disc :D

Andy.
    Sounds pretty much similar to what I'll be putting on mine ( when it arrives ). It's all the stuff from my would be 'ebay bargain' cove frame that broke after 6 months. Pikes, hope brakes and a mixture of shimano drive train, single track on hope wheels. Cant wait for it tto arrive. Looking forward to having a hardtail to ride. :)
  • andyturner28
    Here's mine at the moment

www.pinkbike.com/photo/2119464/
    www.pinkbike.com/photo/2119501/

I say at the moment as i seem to be buying new bits every 5 seconds! This is a bloody expensive hobby!

P.S. How do you upload pictures on here?
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Bit late into this thread, but On-One's are great bikes.
    I have a Kaffenback by Plant X (on-one's parent company) thats my commute tour general bike, a 29er and a ScandAL. The Scandal is the best hardtail I've owned, had a 456 and while it was a great bike, twas a bit to burly for me so hence the lighter version...
    running with Fox TALAS RL froks, XT cranks, Sram X9 throughout bar the front mech which is XT, Hayes Stroker trail brakes and crossride wheels....

Pics are probably the best thing now....
    ScandAL
    2464590866_6e50e32275_b.jpg

Kaffenback (now fitted with rack and mudguards for commuting)
    2263552656_6d03d5986a_b.jpg
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Yep, but most are dual pull anyway these days.....
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....