North Sea Route in Holland

dav_safc
dav_safc Posts: 59
edited June 2008 in Tour & expedition
I am looking to do a portion of the above probably in August with partner on tandem. We would be arriving at Ijmuiden via ferry. The obvious route taking in account fitness would then be something like Callantsoog, Harlingen, ferry to Vlieland, ferry to Texel, ferry to Den Helder and back to Ijmuiden via LF1.
Anyone have any experince of a similar trip they could share ? Any help with accom. recomendations especially appreciated. Would prefer not to stay under canvas.
Also the map I have (in Dutch) is a bit vague as to the quality of the path at the south end of Vlieland which leads to the Texel ferry. Is this rideable ?
Our transport is a Dawes Discovery hybrid type thing so it can take a bit of a battering but nothing too serious.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I have just done the same above trip and it was excellent. i have some maps i no longer need ANWB 1'50th scale all cycle paths shown, if you pm me with address i can send them on also provide details of trip etc. All in All very easy to follow, well signed, excellent paths, one tip when you leave the metal gates at Felison Terminal Ijmuiden Take an immediate left towards the Sluice gates these will take you onto the LF1 North Bound without problems. All the towns Callantsoog Petten Egmond Den Helder etc had plenty of accomodation just type vvv Then town (ie: vvv den helder) name into search engine and all the info you need will be there in english. We stayed at Stayokay youth hostels which are okay as long as you dont mind kids and noise. The cycle paths are fantastic and well signed it is very hard to get lost. The Texel Ferry was very easy to use and cheap as are the Trains if needed. Everyone spoke perfect english and the Dutch are very pleasent and polite. Be carful of the dunes as very hilly though. anymore info needed give me a Pm
  • JHcp
    JHcp Posts: 144
    The Vlieland - Texel ferry is interesting, you don't need to ride across the Vliehors sands as you can take the 'Vliehors Express' truck, details on this page of our website.

They do take bikes and I would assume tandems also, getting on to the ferry is interesting there are some pictures of the ferry crossing near the bottom of this page of our travelogue.

If you don't want to stay under canvas, why not try the the 'Vrienden op de Fiets' an organisation that you can join which gives you access to over 3450 addresses of fellow cyclists in Holland and Belgium where you can have B&B for no more than €17 a night.
  • DTipp
    DTipp Posts: 1
    We did a similar route last year. Ijmuiden up onto Texal on first day (55 miles). Quite a long day off the boat , but seemed a shame to break it in two.
    The Islands are superb, but you may have to book to get over to Vlieland, plus limited ferries you can use (first and last of day with bikes).
    Vlieland is beautiful but small. we missed our ferry over to Terschelling, and had to spend another 24 hours on the Island. Fast cats do not accept bikes, except first and last of day
    Then worked our way back via the middle of Holland.

http://www.wadden.nl/index&lng=en is a good web site for ferry details.

we used a discovery and a Karakum no problem.

drop me a PM and I will send you our route notes.