Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2008 in The Crudcatcher
woohoo! much earlier than I expected :D
marzocchi55s.jpg

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    YAY! How long 'til you have them fitted?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • stucon
    stucon Posts: 361
    ooooooooooooooooh!! nice rug!!!! :wink:

good work mate.... liking those!!!!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Is the one on the right leaking oil???

Dennis Noward
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    Hurrah!

I can't see them as no access to photobucket at work.

From the description you have a nice rug, and you've bought something which you fill with oil. Could be anything! A new oil can, which is faulty as it is leaking!
  • Anonymous
    Lol, no they're not leaking oil, that's the colour of the rug!

Just been fitting them now, and they sure look good on the bike. The ATA system is really neat, because now I can go back to "sensible" head angle for general riding, and crank them up to "silly" head angle for mad descending!

The only downside is that the forks have arrived before my brake adapter did! so at the moment my bike has no front brake.
    Mind you, that's the least of my worries, because I'm also waiting for a seat post to replace the one I broke on Saturday.
  • Anonymous
    oh yeah, and I spent a good 10 minutes scratching my head, wondering why, when the QR20 axle was tightened up, it was pointing directly forwards :!:
    ahem, until I realised it's got a kind of built in torque wrench, so you just keep turning it until it's in a safe position :oops:
  • GT Destroyer
    mcgee I don't think you got it - I can't see a picture so have no idea what they actually are! I'm sticking with new oil cans! Ones with QR skewers in the lids!
  • Anonymous
    :lol: for oil based emergencies, so you can get at it real quick!
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    GT, they're big and black with a red knob!!!
  • GT Destroyer
    I see them now! I'm at home. If it was leaking oil then it would be a pretty big leak. What bike are they off onto?
  • Anonymous
    my only bike, the Marin Evo :lol: (image in sig)
    The forks are so big and fat, they make the frame look completely irrelevant, as though it's just some ancillary equipment to keep the rear shock and the fork together!
    However, they do work better with the frame than the junior Ts, because I can set them nice and low for general trail riding if need be.

Technically, I do have another bike, I suppose, but it's still just a frame and seatpost, but I do intend to build it up at some point, it's just that something else always seems to get in the way.

I took them for a quick ride round the village yesterday (without the brake or seatpost!) and although there was a bit too much sag out of the box, their ability to eat impacts are completely insane - I had to quickly head up a 5" curb to avoid a car and it just doesn't even register through the handlebars!
    Awesome!
  • Itsari
    Itsari Posts: 346
    So when you gonna update the photo in your sig? ^^
  • Anonymous
    tomorrow morning :D Just finished fitting the brakes (oh, and incidentally, hope C2, 203mm rotor, ProII hub, and the IS-POST adapter, works perfectly, no filing neded at all!?!? one word people, SHIM WASHERS :roll: ) and the new seatpost.
    I reckon it looks ace, all in black with red accents. Everything apart from the fork is scruffy as hell though!
  • GT Destroyer
    Its quite a beast McGee. I'm impressed, never had you down as a F/S man for some reason?
  • Anonymous
    Sorry, I got up a bit late this morning, so I didn't have time. :oops:
  • Anonymous
    Ok, itsari, pic is updated.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    The rear shock is really out of proportion with the frame tubing! I'm liking the colour scheme though - black/red/yellow looks great! Any idea on overall weight?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Anonymous
    BlackSpur wrote:
    Any idea on overall weight?
    erm, lots :lol: Well, it's lighter than a norco six two, and, er, well, most heavy duty all-mountain bikes really.
    It is now that i've gone tubeless anyway!
    BlackSpur wrote:
    The rear shock is really out of proportion with the frame tubing!
    hehe! yeah :D Some guy rode up next to me on a 2006 Wolf ridge (I think) on saturday and said "snap!, same bike as mi...., erm...... except yours.... has a farking massive shock?!?" haha!

It doesn't actually look too bad in the flesh though, the industrial design of the rear swingarm suits it quite well, but you can't really see it in the angle the photo was taken.

On the plus side though, I was considering getting a new bike when the old shock started dying, but the DHX5 made it so much plusher and floaty that I realised my bike was fine after all. Getting a bike with similar componentry new would probably cost a small fortune, but since I built this up over several years, the wallet was never hit too hard, apart from the initial £1350 outlay to buy it in the first place.
  • Itsari
    Itsari Posts: 346
    Ooo that does look well nice!

Need some mud on them now - you can borrow some of my shorts if you want? =D
  • Anonymous
    thank you!
    My riding buddy, who has a Norco Six Two, has a go ocasionally, and can;t believe how well it rides!
    I still want a newer bike, but I can't really say I need one - and I'd never get rid of the Marin evo, it's my baby!