energy bars + gels

tonyp71
tonyp71 Posts: 52
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi there, anybody know the best place to pick up your energy bars + gels etc?
Don't want to pay a fortune for them either!
Thanks

Comments

• madturkey
    madturkey Posts: 58
    A few friends of mine get theirs in bulk from Wiggle. They sell stuff in packs of 24.

Depending on where you live you might be able to pick up multipacks at Decathlon superstores...
  • tonyp71
    cheers madturkey, got a decathlon in stockport, al go + have a look tomorrow.
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    tonyp71 wrote:

it's all on line if you want to look before you go, you can even check stock levels.
  • tonyp71
    hodsgod wrote:
    tonyp71 wrote:

it's all on line if you want to look before you go, you can even check stock levels.

will do, cheers :)
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    energy bars is one thing i get from my LBS, give me 10% discount as im part of the local cycling club and makes it only slightly more expensive than buying bulk online and supports a local business.... just my 2p
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Torq also sell theirs direct, it may work out a little cheaper than through a shop.

I like these best.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • tonyp71
    thanks all, popped to decathlon earlier and bought a few odd ones to see how nice they are, pointless buying a box full if they taste like sh#t!
    Will try LBS and see if they have any in.... :)
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    I find that often there is no need for gels etc. I don't feel there is a need for rides under 2 hours in length where plenty of water and something simple like a banana will do you fine.

Check out the cycling nutrition articles here.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    chill123 wrote:
    I find that often there is no need for gels etc. I don't feel there is a need for rides under 2 hours in length where plenty of water and something simple like a banana will do you fine.

Check out the cycling nutrition articles here.

+1 to that.

I dont take anything with me if its only 2 hours, water and thats about it (make sure i've had breakfast mind you)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Bars are good for 50 miles + rides and especially useful in serious hills/alps etc when you'll use up more energy than on flatter rides, but other than that you may find you don't need them. Everyone is different in their energy requirements though. If it's very hot and/or hilly (ie you are sweating a lot for long periods) then you may prefer to use ZYM or NUUN tablets/powders which are simply electrolytes rather than containing any energy as such. They work very well for re-hydration. I have tried High 5, SIS GO and Power Bar sports drinks and bars and not really liked any of them. I do like the Torq bars - they are mostly dried fruit which may explain why they not only taste half decent but also are softer/less chewy than other bars. I find I can't swallow dry bars too well when cycling. I'd definitely recommend buying a few of various different bars and trying them before you commit to buying large boxes of 24 or more. I would suggest you read the ingredients as well, because some bars are more or less glucose or sucrose based whereas some bars are perhaps a little more superior and made from longer chain carbs with maltodextrin and fruit/fructose which you may prefer over other sugars. You also may prefer fruit based rather than cereal based bars depending on what you usually eat and what foods you get on with.