Swinley Forest Novice

Chris`I
Chris`I Posts: 206
edited July 2008 in MTB rides
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of heading to Swinley Forest this weekend (weather permitting) with the missus. I'm a pretty seasoned rider, but just back on the bike after about 5yrs away. Shes relatively new to MTB and we've been doing the local loop in the woods around us a bit as an intro to XC riding, nothing major but its getting her used to MTB, theres a few hills and one root strewn downhill section, again nothing big or technical.

Where do you guys think the best places to go in the forrest are for XC? I have head that there are loads of trails and dont want to set down one to meet soemthing the "Baby maker" or I'll think I'm on my old jump bike, clear them and knacker my Rockhopper (the rims arent as bulletproof as my old D521s :oops: ) . More importantly the missus needs a nice intro too offroad so was wondering where the nice reasonably paced, fairly untechnical trails lived?

Any directions welcome, especially google maps or memory map traces. I have a Garmin 205 so can transfer them onto that to make sure we're not riding around aimlessly on the hunt for some good trails. I tried doing a search but didnt turn much up.

TIA
Chris
2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
2012 Boardman Road Team

Comments

• cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Send me your email by PM and I'll send you a few of the Gorrick race tracks I've downloaded both as .crs files and .gpx for memory map.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • deadpool2e
    deadpool2e Posts: 625
    edited July 2008
    cjw wrote:
    Send me your email by PM and I'll send you a few of the Gorrick race tracks I've downloaded both as .crs files and .gpx for memory map.

Hi,

Was wondering it you wouldnt mind sending me those files as well, and if you have any saved way points for swinley as well. If you can please send to ..

(PMed you my e-mail)Many Thanks

Mark
    http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl the new XC in Kent

http://deadpool2e.pinkbike.com/channel/Afan-Vids/

MOUNTAIN BIKING- The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • Chris`I wrote:
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking of heading to Swinley Forest this weekend (weather permitting) with the missus. I'm a pretty seasoned rider, but just back on the bike after about 5yrs away. Shes relatively new to MTB and we've been doing the local loop in the woods around us a bit as an intro to XC riding, nothing major but its getting her used to MTB, theres a few hills and one root strewn downhill section, again nothing big or technical.

Where do you guys think the best places to go in the forrest are for XC? I have head that there are loads of trails and dont want to set down one to meet soemthing the "Baby maker" or I'll think I'm on my old jump bike, clear them and knacker my Rockhopper (the rims arent as bulletproof as my old D521s :oops: ) . More importantly the missus needs a nice intro too offroad so was wondering where the nice reasonably paced, fairly untechnical trails lived?

Any directions welcome, especially google maps or memory map traces. I have a Garmin 205 so can transfer them onto that to make sure we're not riding around aimlessly on the hunt for some good trails. I tried doing a search but didnt turn much up.

TIA
    Chris

swinley is fat, park up in he lookout car park, oposite the coral reef pool, it cost about £2 to get in, but do get a map. loads of fire roads, single track, downhill, drops, dirt jumps... all really well looked after and ever being developed. it's really cool up there, even then the rain is banging it down

Edd
  • Chris`I
    Definately be giving it a look. Was at Longleat Centre Parcs a few weeks back and did their "MTB Trek" which to be fair was a good intro into proper riding for the missus. Wasnt anything technical, but got her off road and used to having to go up hills and a bit of faster downhill (unlike the very flat Basingstoke!). She enjoyed it a lot, now looking to get up to Swinley one weekend and then onto a few trail centres I hope, Afan being the easiest for us to get to for a weekend away.
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • Chris`I wrote:
    Definately be giving it a look. Was at Longleat Centre Parcs a few weeks back and did their "MTB Trek" which to be fair was a good intro into proper riding for the missus. Wasnt anything technical, but got her off road and used to having to go up hills and a bit of faster downhill (unlike the very flat Basingstoke!). She enjoyed it a lot, now looking to get up to Swinley one weekend and then onto a few trail centres I hope, Afan being the easiest for us to get to for a weekend away.

if you want you coud tag along with us one weekend, during the summer... i know swinley "fairly" well now, certainly can show you a range of easy through to really tracky rides, from single track to table tops on mad DH runs
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I wrote:

if you want you coud tag along with us one weekend, during the summer... i know swinley "fairly" well now, certainly can show you a range of easy through to really tracky rides, from single track to table tops on mad DH runs
    Thanks for the offer Edd, I'll give you a shout when I'm thinking of heading down! Busy the next few weekends with a stag do and wedding (not mine) but in about 3 weeks I'll finally have some spare time :D
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • yeah no worries, I'm servicing and rebuilding my trail bike at the moment anyway, putting some new comps on it and stuff

Edd