Devil Ride - gearing recommendation please

Scott08
Scott08 Posts: 21
OK, so this may be an obvious question to you cyclosportive regulars, but I am new to this cyclosportive game and the Devil Ride will be my hardest/longest event of the year...

I need to replace my chainset/rear mech soon and am thinking about going compact. Never felt the need for one for road racing but my races don't go for 100 miles over this kind of terrain. The website hints that this will be a toughie, even though the organisers say it has some recovery sections in it - I like their attitude BTW - so should I take the plunge into the compact world or will a traditional 39/25 combo do the trick for your average Joe :?:

I guess this could have been posted in a techie forum but I want the views of you cyclosportivists :P

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Scott08 wrote:
    OK, so this may be an obvious question to you cyclosportive regulars, but I am new to this cyclosportive game and the Devil Ride will be my hardest/longest event of the year...

I need to replace my chainset/rear mech soon and am thinking about going compact. Never felt the need for one for road racing but my races don't go for 100 miles over this kind of terrain. The website hints that this will be a toughie, even though the organisers say it has some recovery sections in it - I like their attitude BTW - so should I take the plunge into the compact world or will a traditional 39/25 combo do the trick for your average Joe :?:

I guess this could have been posted in a techie forum but I want the views of you cyclosportivists :P

On this run I think that the triple whammy of Devils Staircase / Gammalt and Cenglau will push the limits of the Standard chainset....I defo need a triple for 25% climbs...but thats me...I must say however that having a few lower gears available is a wise option...especially for 100+mile very hilly runs...we all know that even moderate hills feel hellish at such distances...not only that but I absolutely strolled passed many lads on the FWC this year who were struggling with standard chainsets..I was just twiddling the smaller gear and I reckon its much more efficient over time than pushing a heavier gear...

As you race you are probably much better than me and maybe you don't need even a Compact....could you put a 27 shimano or 29 Campag on the back?....that way at least you will still have a fairly similar spread of gears as to what your already used to? and then you would have 'bail out' options if you started to tire?
  • Scott08
    Hadn't thought of a 27 :roll: But if you need a triple maybe I need a compact AND a 27 :!: I am a road racer - but more of a "rouleur" than a mountain goat. I have always managed to survive hilly races but just haven't ever done 100 milers with things like the Staircase in them.

Any downsides to a compact for sportive use?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Scott08 wrote:
    Hadn't thought of a 27 :roll: But if you need a triple maybe I need a compact AND a 27 :!: I am a road racer - but more of a "rouleur" than a mountain goat. I have always managed to survive hilly races but just haven't ever done 100 milers with things like the Staircase in them.

Any downsides to a compact for sportive use?

A couple of my mates who are a bit better than me use Compacts...34x27...they seem very happy with it...one of them suggested that after the FWC he might invest in a Triple...but where else are you going to hit something as insane as Hardknott West at 100 awfully tough miles?...so on 99% of all sportives the Compacts are very popular and the only downside I've ever heard is when descending...when a 53 big ring can keep you pushing but on a 50 you run outta gears?......apart from that its all positive stuff I've heard...we all know how steep the climbs are of Northern England and Wales...so I suppose having a few more options could only benefit?....as after the Devil Ride no doubt you'll really enjoy it all and want to sign up for more punishment in future events..
  • Scott08
    Thanks RichyBoy. Very sensible advice. You have kind of echoed my own thoughts so a compact it is I think. I can live without a booming great gear on descents so hard to see a downside.

Reeeeeaaalllly looking forward to the Devil Ride. I know it is a while off yet but that lovely entry confirmation postcard is pinned above my desk right now and it keeps me going through these long days of servitude :lol:
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Go with a compact (Although a triple may save your knees and tired muscles) - if you run Campag :D go for a 29 sprocket, I don`t race but have ridden the whole Devil route and managed on 34 / 29; could have possibly got away with 26 but the extra bail out gear is worth its weight; it is not only the Staircase and Gamallt that you`ll need a low gear for too, the Abbeycwmhir climb (after about 70 miles) is quite sharp :wink:

Re spinning out a top gear I`ve `adapted` / fettled a cassette to run 12 to 29, bit of a poor chage mid block due to misfit on the rampings but otherwise OK
  • musto_skiff
    musto_skiff Posts: 394
    On shimano is it possible to get smaller than 34x27 on a compact?

I found myself in bottom gear a couple of times last weekend ...
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077

Yes - you could fit a mountain bike cassette and rear derailleur.
  • musto_skiff
    musto_skiff Posts: 394
    shazzz wrote:

Yes - you could fit a mountain bike cassette and rear derailleur.

Can you go lower than 34 on the front by changing the chain ring?
  • JamesB
    Yes - but you may need an entire replacement chainset then, and pssibly need to change either / both front and rear mechs to accommodate a wider range of teeth spread

Try PMP (I know Epic Cycles are stockists) they have from 29 up inner on a double, and sell a 33 t inner for std compacts also, or you could use a Middleburn Duo (29 or 32 inner on a double) or TA make a vast range of rings to suit all--- Carmina / Vega range if I recall correctly.

James
  • Scott08
    Thanks for info all - I followed your recommendation James and also visited Epic Cycles, as you mentioned them. Best bike shop in the world I think? Paradise for any roadie.

Anyway they were fantastic - fitted me a compact while I waited, tuned up the bike, had me test it out on the totally beautiful roads outside and I am sold 100% on compacts now.

Bring on the hills :twisted: Bring on the Devil. You hold no fear for me now. Famous last words :?:
  • FondoMan
    FondoMan Posts: 85
    Just seen this Scott. Good advice all round, and I am glad Epic Cycles could help you out too!

I would back the advice given here: a compact with a 25 is the recommended minimum gearing for the Devil Ride. If you are especially strong on the climbs, then a 39x25 may be OK for you, but for most a 34x25, 34x27 or lower would be a much safer bet.

Phil.
    Devil Ride.
  • JamesB
    If pride allows you can always call on the 24" gear :lol: - as a last resort