Trans Pennine trail

ratty2k
ratty2k Posts: 3,872
edited June 2008 in Tour & expedition
WE DID IT! Was a bit stressfull at times (just me!)

Day 1.
So, start at Southport, quite a nice day.... strong winds, but following us to start. Got down through Liverpool and onto the Mersey estuary at Runcorn and a very strong headwind hit us (40 mph +....) and that would basically last right the way through to Stockport. Mind you we stopped for lunch at the Ferry tavern (huge range of whiskey! well for round here at least!) so I had a Lagavulin 16yr and enjoyed that! Windy as I say right the way to Stockport but bright and sunny for the most part.

Day 2.

Well, a wet and windy start wasn't really what I had planned! More strong headwinds whilst climbing the Pennines ain't fun at all! Got to the start of the Woodhead pass and the wind was howling down there... lots of spray coming off the resevoirs.... quite spectacular although visibility was down...
Got to Penistone and found the digs The Old Crown (a pub! ) no food there, so down to the chippy for tea.
People in the pub were fantastic, the girl behind the bar and her mate who came in later kept us laughing all night....

Day 3.
A good breakfast was laid on, and back on the bikes.... FOG! The most scenic part, and we couldnt see more than 50-100 yards. Brightened up a bit later though we got caught in some heavy downpours no too far from Selby (round the Drax powerstation) where we stayed the night in a great guesthouse- The Hazeldene. Another evening spent in a pub, Cochranes wharf.... soooo quiet at the end of the night, it was me, Proximo, one local and the barmaid.... she'd just bought the place and I hope it works out for her.

Day 4.

From Selby, its nice and flat until you hit the Yorkshire wolds, but nothing like the Pennines! Coming out onto the Humber estuary is something I'm not going to forget in a hurry, the weather improved (hot and sunny YEY!!!) and the view up the river to the Humber bridge is spectacular! You get to pass right under it, and I dont think I could tire of the view.... Got lost in Hull, didn't particularly like the place although we had to go through it, I'd alter the route (if/ when there is a next time) to avoid Hull and pick up the trail to Hornsea.
The last part of the trail is a bit dull TBH, a long mostly straight flat gravel trail going thorugh what felt like a green tunnel with the Hawthorn bushes.... Got to the end at Hornsea... and felt..... Deflated, is the only way I can describe it. Possibly the fact we were so tired after the last 4 days...

I'm actually enjoying it more now after a few days of being at home and looking back at what we achieved!

So if you are going to do the TPT, take proper ordanance survey maps, and street atalas for Hull and you'll be reet!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17009412@N ... 544621278/
My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
I talk to him everyday....