Tri bar do's and dont's

hammerite
hammerite Posts: 3,408
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Just had clip on tri bars fitted to my bike, mainly for use in the triathlons I'm doing, but I may also be tempted to do some time trials.

I'll also use them to train on a bit just so I can get used to them.

Can anyone tell me what I should or shouldn't be doing with them? Any tips on safety and things to aid training appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• musto_skiff
    musto_skiff Posts: 394
    Which ones did you buy and what do you think of them?
  • hammerite
    these, but the non carbon variety http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=13802&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

they were the ones my LBS stocked basically, and fitted for me as I had to have my frog brakes removed, recabled etc..... they made sure they were the right length and set up for me too.

If I'd have realised I could've got the carbon ones for that price I probably would have, but then I paid less than that with the work and fitting so no problem.

I find them very comfortable, although I'm only just getting used to them and haven't really used them for any longer than 1 mile intervals, during longer rides. Time will tell what they are like for longer stints, but I have no complaints so far.

One annoying thing with them though...... my cables rattle against the tri bars! took me ages to realise what it was after having them fitted. I might put some tape on the underside of the bars to stop the noise.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I got my first tri bars when Greg Lemond made them famous (yes, I'm that old) so my memory is a little hazy, but I do remember the first TTs I did on them, I spent more time going from one side of the road to the other as I did forward.

No easy solution to this other than riding them as much as possible to get used to the handling.

When riding in traffic be prepared to reach for the brake levers quickly, or keep one hand on the hoods if you think you may needs the brakes in a hurry.

Other than that it's pretty straight forward really and you'll be amazed at how much quicker you can go for the same effort.
  • hammerite
    Bronzie wrote:
    I got my first tri bars when Greg Lemond made them famous (yes, I'm that old) so my memory is a little hazy, but I do remember the first TTs I did on them, I spent more time going from one side of the road to the other as I did forward.

No easy solution to this other than riding them as much as possible to get used to the handling.

When riding in traffic be prepared to reach for the brake levers quickly, or keep one hand on the hoods if you think you may needs the brakes in a hurry.

Other than that it's pretty straight forward really and you'll be amazed at how much quicker you can go for the same effort.

thanks Bronzie, I'm actually not too bad at holding a straight line, even when I'm changing position, going for the brakes or gears.

I know what you mean about going quicker, for the effort, I can be pedalling along nicely on the hoods, go down onto the tri bars and within seconds I'm having to change up a gear because I'm spinning a tad too quickly!

I am finding it difficult holding the position for a long time though. Probably only stayed down for 2-3 mins max at a time.

I'm finsing I'm coming off the tri bars too when I get to hills, even little lumps, or if I get a head wind (probably defeats the point!). Trouble is I don't feel fast enough to use them below about 17mph - is this right?
  • Dunedin397
    Dunedin397 Posts: 149
    I've tri-bars on both my road bike and flat barred road bike and I think they're really useful in general, even if you're not in a time trial or triathlon. I use them as much as I can during my commute.

You'll get used to them over time and you'll learn when and where you can or can't use them. Your balance will also get better as they do require you to be more steady than on the standard bars.

As you've noticed, you'll go quicker by just moving to the tri-bars, so if you're going around 18mph, you'll quickly move to 20mph for the same effort. As you've found, there's no really point in using them to go faster around 16mph, unless you're just using them to improve your balance and get used to the position.

Just make sure you ride smart with them, if you need the brakes or may have to change direction quickly, don't use them.

Dunedin
  • JonBurns
    JonBurns Posts: 212
    Thinking about getting a pair for the missus for when she does triathlons. What's the difference between draft legal bars and ones that aren't.

I'm looking at getting the Profile Design T2+
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    JonBurns wrote:
    Thinking about getting a pair for the missus for when she does triathlons. What's the difference between draft legal bars and ones that aren't.

I have those bars on my road bike for triathlons. Have been pretty impressed with them.

I find clip on tribars in general a bit of a necessary evil for going faster. I don't like the extra weight on the bars of my bike, and I think they look kind of ugly. I suppose what I really want is a dedicated TT bike, but I can't afford or justify it :)
  • Mr P
    Mr P Posts: 548
    JonBurns, I may be wrong but I tihnk draft legal tribars are little short ones that don't poke forward of the front of your bars or shifters so that they are safer in the event of a crash. "Legal" for tris where drafting is allowed (no tt/aero bars in these events). I think the drafting events are for the "big boys" - all the ones I've done have been non-drafting and normal clip-ons are fine (can get down a bit more than the shorter ones I guess).
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Graeme_S wrote:
    JonBurns wrote:

I have those bars on my road bike for triathlons. Have been pretty impressed with them.

I find clip on tribars in general a bit of a necessary evil for going faster. I don't like the extra weight on the bars of my bike, and I think they look kind of ugly. I suppose what I really want is a dedicated TT bike, but I can't afford or justify it :)

Just bought a set of ITM Olympus tri-bars for TTing on my road bike. I've been out on training runs with them fitted to the bike in order to get used to them - no complaints about comfort, build quality, position or the extra bit of speed on the flat or descents, but they weigh just over 1lb and the extra weight is noticeable on stiff climbs.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I have Profile T2+ which I only fit for TTs. They fit quite low to the handlebars and are very adjustable. Also very comfortable. I have them set so I am on the ends on the flat and move back towards the rear bend on climbs. I find this way I can stay on them up to about 5% hills.
    I had the Olympus bars but found the arm rests uncomfortable especialy on bumpy roads (most of them). They also lacked adjustability.
  • JonBurns
    JonBurns Posts: 212
    Cheers guys,

Profile Design T2+ purchased from ebay for £55

When the wife isn't using them I might give them a try myself and knock a couple of minutes off my commute to work :D
  • Any opinions on the century aerobars?
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    OK for the price but lack adjustability. If they don't fit then tough.