Stem length

davehutch
davehutch Posts: 24
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
I'm going from an old Marin Bear Valley, which I was uncomfortable on for some time until I changed the stem to a riser.
I now find that all the bikes I'm trying make me feel the same way (too much weight on my arms and tension in my shoulders/neck) due to having to hike the saddle up high (34" inside leg)

Am I right or wrong in thinking that if I get a slightly longer and higher stem, the steering shouldn't change?

I know that longer will move the bars forward but making it higher at the same time should bring them back to where they started as far as trail distance shouldn't it?

As I might have no choice but to change the stem when I buy a bike, I need to know this before I carry on really.

Thanks,

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try some more bikes out - geometry varies massively between brands and models, with different length top tubes, headtubes, angles - often they also have spacers above the stem or below it so can adjust height.

Saying that many people do tinker with the stem to tailor the fit. Many shops will change for free if you ask them, or let you try some out. But its always best to get the basic fit right.