Newie looking for tyres

Deadman
Deadman Posts: 10
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi I've been out alot on my bike & even done the newnham90, which was great but hard due to muddy conditions & also me having the wrong tyres. I'm looking for a good set of all weather tyre that handles anything, from the really porridge like mud to road. Any advice would be great. I've had a look on wiggle & am thinking about either the panaracer cinder or the panaracer fire xc pro. but any advice would be good.

Cheers
Deadman

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Unfortunately no such tyre exists! You get specific ones, or more all rounders but these are generelly 'jack of all trades, master of none'. Some so called all rounders are geared up more towards certain conditions though.

I'd recommend buying this months WMB and reading the tyre mega test.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm looking for a good set of all weather tyre that handles anything, from the really porridge like mud to road.
    aren't we all?
  • I'm Very impressed wiityh my Pana Cinders! very good rolling (incomparison to my older pana trailblasters) and very good on muddy rocky conditions too!
    and more importantly for me they come with 'normal' black sidewalls!!! :wink:
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Agree with Panaracer Cinders,

Decent on most surfaces, last ages and are pretty sturdy as well
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Kenda Nevegal DTCs, Maxxis Minion Kevlars and ADvantage, Panaracer Rampages and Cinders and Conti Mountain King Protections were all well reviewed in WMBs tyre supertest this months. They all seem to fit the requirements of a do-it-all tyre.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Oh, and I'd also suggest shelling out the £4 to buy WMB this month to check out the reviews.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • judith_sw
    judith_sw Posts: 101
    I have nothing to compare them to (other than the dreadful ones fitted to the bike from new), but I have been really happy with my Panaracer Fire XC Pros - I've heard the Cinders are really good too. I had to use my bike on roads tomight and the Pros seemed to roll reasonably well.
  • Deadman
    Thankyou for all the advice. I will get wmb this month. I'm off up the shop now to get it. I will keep you all updated on the ones I picked. :)
  • Deadman
    Ok have read wmb this month & have decided on either the Kenda Nevegal DTC or the Panaracer Cinder. Just working out the Budget. Thanks again for all your help :)