scr 3 bottom bracket

inchcape
inchcape Posts: 38
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Am getting a clicking from bottom bracket but there doesn't seem to be any movement when moving cranks by hand would like to know if i can remove it for greasing or is it a sealed unit,and also is it easy enough to remove.

Comments

• jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    I have the exact same symptom on SCR 3, ITS DRIVING ME INSANE!!
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, i don't have an SCR but i have read that the bottom bracket can fail early so it might be worth getting it replaced.
    However i think it is more likely to be the crank to axle join (remove grease and do up tightly) or just the pedals (try a different pair).
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • I had to replace the bottom bracket on my SCR2 after a couple of months: not so much clicking as creaking. Apparently the bottom bracket is where money is saved on entry level bikes: it's not one of the specs that gets checked and compared, is it?? It was about £20 to get done, and not had any problems since. The seals on the old one had gone and it was letting in water/grit.
  • ijportwine
    ijportwine Posts: 35
    I have had the same problem with my SCR 3. It's only six months old. I have assumed that it was the left hand crank creaking, and so have re-greased it etc, but still the creaking remains. Took the bike into the lbs this morning and he reckons that it is the BB.

Does anyone know what size is required and what is the best tool to buy to remove the old one?
  • andyjp
    andyjp Posts: 9
    Nice to know I'm not alone! Ever since I rode in what can only be described as a monsoon rain storm on my way home from work last week it is creaking and clicking a hell of a lot. I've attributed this to the rain but does anyone know if it is the rain or do I need a new bottom bracket??

Cheers
  • XTCRider
    XTCRider Posts: 113
    Mines going fine after 2 yrs now
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtcrider/sets/72057594126938720/

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike, I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride it where I like
  • andyjp
    andyjp Posts: 9
    Update...

I sprayed WD40 on my spd pedal and the sound has vanished! The rain must hve washed all the grease off the springs.,

Silence is golden
  • ijportwine
    ijportwine Posts: 35
    I have contacted the shop I bought the bike from to see if the BB can be claimed under warranty.

If not does anyone know what size I need for an SCR 3 with triple chainset?
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    ijportwine wrote:
    I have contacted the shop I bought the bike from to see if the BB can be claimed under warranty.

If not does anyone know what size I need for an SCR 3 with triple chainset?

The shop you bought it from does :) Have them do the work. Btw, Shimano UN bottom brackets are really nice if you have square taper.