Tioga XC front/rear specific tyres are USELESS. Alternatives

indysmith
indysmith Posts: 276
edited June 2008 in XC and Enduro
What's a good tyre for cross country riding? Ideally I'd like to keep it quite thin (as I ride on roads on the way to trails quite a bit), although I'm aware this might not be possible, as the priority is that it sticks to wet, chalky, rooty, loose ground (think Aston Hill XC course - i live around there).
On my two rides on these Tioga XC tyres (first a good 44 miles, second a good 2 miles after I fell off and had to come home), I've had two pretty nasty falls, due to the tyres just randomly slipping out. They're AWFUL, and although they come with a good price I urge you all to resist. The grip looks like it should be effective, but they really are awful and do anything but inspire confidence (i'm scared to even turn!) - going above 15mph is terrifying as you really never know when that front wheel's just going to slip out.
Thanks

Comments

• dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    maxxis highroller xc for dry or holy roller for everything
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Hehe, I have Factory XCs, and they are not the best! New bike time soon though, so no point upgrading yet.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    The holy roller was top of my list, so the fact that you've recommended it is a good sign. Any other suggestions?
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Kenda Nevegal, Panaracer Rampage or Cinder, Specialized Sauserwind.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Panaracer fire xc pro, great all rounder of a tyre.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • limb0
    limb0 Posts: 51
    Continental Vapour Protection

Weight(g): 525
    Bead: Folding
    TPI: 170
    Puncture protection: Yes

They're what I use, and well worth the hefty 30 quid price tag.
    If you aren't living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space.
  • Panaracer Cinders inspire confidence, very impressed with mine after a ride on road, foot path, wet mud, damp mud, gravel, rocky descents and trail rides (general weekly club ride) had one issue when flinging the bike at speed around a pothole/emptty puddle when the back was a little loose but over all they were brilliant! (much better than the trailblasters when i last did the same ride!)
    also, they seem to be selling for low money at the mo as a lot of people are still going for the fire's! (ebay)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    I wouldn't use Fire XC pros on wet clay, pretty good on most other terrain though.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    A fan of Specialized Fast Trak Pros in all but thick mud.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    just got a pair of 2.35 Kenda Blue groove, a bit slow on climbs and all, but the grip is out of this world...
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982