Shimano Ultegra adjustment

howiejmidlands
howiejmidlands Posts: 389
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Out for a training run today, and the rear deraileur was just not playing the game. It was jumping, not going into the gear, going in then dropping out, and getting onto the big sprocket was nigh on impossible or very noisy.
I need some sort of guide as to adjust the gears, becasue usually the registration is perfectly smooth and accurate.
The bike has been in and out the back of the car more than once this week, so it may have been knocked.
Any help would be appreicated.
Just a fat bloke on a bike

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    It could well be that the cable is stretched slightly, especially if it it is not going up on to the larger sprockets. There is a barrel adjustor as the cable goes into the cassette that will increase the tension and should fix it.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Thanks Feel

I adjusted the cable tension and it all works fine.

Cheers
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Having just been adjusting mine i now realise why mine had gone out of adjustment. On a ride this afternoon i discovered that my back wheel quick release skewer was not quite as tight as it should have been and the wheel had been moving slightly. And it moved big time as i was halfway up a steep hill :evil:
    Might be worth a quick check that putting your bike in and out of the car hasn't knocked the back wheel out of allignment.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    If its you new bike Howie the cable has stretched.
    I rode my bike in the CFG for first time when you saw me and I had to stop twice to tweak the cable tension :D
  • It was the cable tension. I tweaked it last night, and had a one hour ride this morning. All as good as new.
    Cheers