Garmin 205

CyclingBantam
CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
I have been playing with me new Garmin however despite following instructions online I am struggling to find any that work allowing me to add route to my Garmin. Does anyone know how it is done or do I have ro ride the routes before I can add them?

I'm confused. :cry:

Comments

• Siechotic
    Siechotic Posts: 86
    use http://mymyride.com or http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/ to create a route, save it out from there then load it into Garmin Training Center and then load it as a course onto your 205.

That's what I do with my 305.
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    If you've got memorymap you could draw the route out on that then upload to GPS that way too....that's my preferred method.
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • Does it accept tracks in .gpx format? Most of the Garmins do. I so, you can draw a route on bikely.com and export a .gpx file. I do this all the time with my eTrex. Google maps works as well, but you need some brower add-ons to get .gpx format.
  • Denny69
    I would think they do accept .gpx files as this is the common file type for GPS units. Also if you create a route on memorymap, tracklogs, anquet or any on-line mapping software and save as a .gpx file it will work with most if not all mapping software. Handy if you use more than one brand of software.

Happy riding

Denny
  • rplavery
    rplavery Posts: 27
    For the Edge you need to use the gpx2crs utility to create a .crs course file.

You can then follow the course on the Edge- lest restrictive than the 100 waypoint route you can also download to the Edge.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    You can upload a gpx through Training Centre.
    Rich
  • Denny69
    rplavery wrote:

You can then follow the course on the Edge- lest restrictive than the 100 way point route you can also download to the Edge.

Thanks for that...have just got a 205 and was a bit miffed at having to delete the way points after I did an experimental upload of a local 5 mile route....only to have about 30 odd way points!!!

Questions....Is it in with the training centre app that you get with the Edge? If so how do I import to convert?

Happy riding

Denny
  • rplavery
    rplavery Posts: 27
    google for it - good thread on the motionbased forums about the download utility.
    Then use the training centre to load the .crs file you will create into the Edge.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Denny69 wrote:
    rplavery wrote:

You can then follow the course on the Edge- lest restrictive than the 100 way point route you can also download to the Edge.

Thanks for that...have just got a 205 and was a bit miffed at having to delete the way points after I did an experimental upload of a local 5 mile route....only to have about 30 odd way points!!!

Questions....Is it in with the training centre app that you get with the Edge? If so how do I import to convert?

You may have done this already but you need to go to the Garmin website and download the latest patch. Then when you go on to Mapmyride etc. to draw up your route you need to save it to your C:/ as a .gpx (Ithink) file.

The problem I am getting now though if following initially being able to store a couple of routes on the training centre, I can now add them to my Garmin via the TC fine and they stay there but when I re-open the Training Centre they are not there along with any ride data however like I say I can just redownload it from my Garmin but it is an almighty pain and I will soon run out of space I guess. Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks

Ben