New To Road Bikes Need Some Headset Advice Please!

si-b
si-b Posts: 8
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all

I have rencently been given a Holdsworth road bike - I recon its about 20 year old but is in really good nick. I have noticed some tightness in the headset so have stripped it, cleaned it and packed with grease but am still experiencing a few sticky positions in steering after readjusting the top race and lock nut.
I have been advised to replace the headset! My local bike shop tells me that it is a low profile head set and must be replaced by the same low profile.

The model is Tange Levin Seike No.Nl 500 (Japan)

I have found some Tange Levin headsets on one site but there is no mention of low profile or the Seike or model number part!

Any advice greatfully recieved!

Cheers

Si

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Could just try new bearings first? I assume shop means a low stack height - if no one can ID from the part ref then if you can post a photo someone may be able to suggest an alternative.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    Have a look at the bearing races.If they're pitted or "dimpled" new bearings won't make a difference,you need a new headset.
  • si-b
    Thanks guys the bearing seem to be fine! Not sure about the races didnt check last time will strip down again later pretty sure its a new headset job though!

Si
  • si-b
    Yup its definatley a new headset job can see pits in the top race!

Anyone get any suggestions on threads or sites that might be able to help?

Thanks

Si
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    www.sjscycles.co.uk has probably the largest selection of 1" threaded headsets - including Tange - and some at least seem to give "stack height".
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • si-b
    Can I ask what the 1inch measurement is of? I think my handlebar stem is 7/8"!

Thanks alot for the weblink.

They have a Tange Levin which seems like a good match just not sure about the 1" bit.

Cheers
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    si-b wrote:
    Can I ask what the 1inch measurement is of?
    The diameter of the steerer tube (threaded portion of the top of the forks)