Allez & Michelin Pro2 Race

daz51
daz51 Posts: 159
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hey guys,

i am currently thinking about changing the tyres on my Allez. At the moment they are the stock tyres and they tend to "stick" to the road a bit, bit hard to explain but the rubber does not seem to roll off the tarmac very well.

i have picked out the michelin pro2 race tyres, would i notice a difference ??????

cheers, Daz

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Probably.

I went for Vittoria Rhubino Pros and they have a slight tread on them and roll along nicely.

I'm quicker on them too 8)
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    Pro 2 race are being phased out but if you can still get some go for it as they are ace.

I've just gone from years using Pro2 race to Pro race 3's and they are even better.

Craig
  • i got 2 pro race 2's for £30 on ebay brand new.
  • dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    Are Pro Race 2 / 3s ok for fine weather commuting?
    I've currently got Krylion Carbons, but have recently ordered a new light wheel set for my Allez and was thinking of getting a faster tyre for the summer.
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    I'm not an expert on this but I bet for commuting you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I do know that Krylions get very good reports and are very hard wearing. Maybe stick with them as the increase in performance is not worth the extra cost.
  • dazzawazza wrote:

No. Nice fast lightweight race tyres don't tend to be robust enough fo commuting and are prone to getting cuts in the sidewalls. Try these instead, still speedy tyres but deffinatley a lot tougher.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProd ... spid=35688

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... Tube%20Set
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    daz51 wrote:
    Hey guys,

i am currently thinking about changing the tyres on my Allez. At the moment they are the stock tyres and they tend to "stick" to the road a bit, bit hard to explain but the rubber does not seem to roll off the tarmac very well.

i have picked out the michelin pro2 race tyres, would i notice a difference ??????

cheers, Daz

Daz - yes you will notice the difference. the tyre you've picked is one of the very best, by any standards. just don't pump them too hard as that ruins ride quality and beyond a certain point starts to make you slower, not faster.
  • Chirg
    Chirg Posts: 141
    edited June 2008
    Previously used Kenda Kontender (punctured fortnightly so binned) then Bontrager Race Light Hardcases (far better) but then got a pair of pro2s cheap and have used them for commuting for a year until one tore. Overall they only punctured if not pumped up enough, but I noticed the difference in how fast they feel compared to the other two.

Now using Continental Ultra Gatorskin on the back for commuting and it feels more sure footed in bad weather, especially as I can run them with less pressure when needs be. If this rain doesn't stop I am going to buy another one for the front as they give me more confidence even though they don't roll as quickly.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    My Allez came with Specialized Mondos but they had virtually no punture protection.
    They were okay during the summer months but once September came around it was punctures galore.

I frist tried 120tpi Mondo Pros with their Armadillo protection belt which was much better but I've been through numerous tyre makes since.

I've not tried Michelins race tyres (just their Krylion Carbons - lovely 8)) but if your Allez came with 60tpi Mondos like mine I'd certainyl ditch them pronto.
  • cannyscott
    cannyscott Posts: 41
    i had mondos pro's on my all allez and thought they were ok. then tried some pro 2 and took then off in 2 weeks because of punctures . then i got some specialized s works which are great am on my second pair now. very grippy , very fast , first set did 2000 miles with 1500 puncture free .would definatly recommend them hargove cycles were doing them for £20 usually they are £30
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    dazzawazza wrote:

No. Nice fast lightweight race tyres don't tend to be robust enough fo commuting and are prone to getting cuts in the sidewalls. Try these instead, still speedy tyres but deffinatley a lot tougher.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProd ... spid=35688

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... Tube%20Set

Spesh Armadillos are slow rolling and boy did I find out the hard way. After 4 years of commuting I changed to the Pro2 Race and noticed and immediate and substantial speed increase.

During the depths of winter when you maybe don't want to be standing at the side of the road then the Armadillos are fantastic and I have never, ever punctured on them but never again will I consider them other than then and even now I will probably look to alternatives when that time comes ie good compromise between rolling and puncture protection.

I haven't had the tyres long enough to make any judgements as to their longevity however no problems as yet. I have a set of Pro3 Race for my new bike so I have some confidence in them. I guess I will see whether it is misplaced or not.