Can you eliminate pivot creak?

MontanaGMT
MontanaGMT Posts: 36
edited June 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
The bushes seem to be ok, but I am still getting creaking when applying pressure to the pedals when going up hills or gunning it. I think it might be the washers to stop the 2 parts of the frame rubbing. Its not my BB etc for sure.

How can I solve this problem with out replacing/removing the pivot bushes? I have tried spray lube and oil with no luck.

Comments

• grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    What about your shims ? these do wear too!
    Also put a little oil on your joints during assemble of parts.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    MontanaGMT
    If you have eliminated all other possible sources for the noise then you will need to look at the pivots (including the shock bushes) also you do not mention what bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Paulkingk
    Paulkingk Posts: 689
    Wear an i pod! i had the same trouble with an i drive drove me bonkers cost me a bomb replaceing everthing and just ended up selling it. i hope you have better luck.
  • MontanaGMT
    lol. Its a iDrive also, its defiantly not the iDrive specific parts and not the shock pivots/bushes either.

I am 95% sure its coming from the pivot. It could be the shims but they seem really tight, so I am guessing its the washer/spaces between the two parts of the frame, but am unable to remove the shims to get to the parts with out the aid of a drift. I was hoping there might be a quick fix method to eliminate this problem. Its mechanically sound apart from this creak.
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Ok are the two shims the same size or are they slightly different in length.
    If so you need to swap them round and then you have stopped the squeak.

A friend of mine had taken his shock out and put it back but put the
    shims on the wrong way round, thinking they were the same.

One was 2mm different in length
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    grantway wrote:
    Ok are the two shims the same size or are they slightly different in length.
    If so you need to swap them round and then you have stopped the squeak.

A friend of mine had taken his shock out and put it back but put the
    shims on the wrong way round, thinking they were the same.

One was 2mm different in length

i presume you actually mean the mounting hardware. (reducers/fitting kit)

IE here we have 2 DU bushes and 4 reducers (the fitting kit)
    no shims in here.
    BushKit1Lrg.jpg

the only shims i can think of in common use on bikes are seat post shims and handle bar shims.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Paulkingk
    Paulkingk Posts: 689
    Well your the second person with an i drive i've spoke to who has had this mystery click. if you resolve it i'd love to know what it was it still bugs me now.
  • MontanaGMT
    Sorry, when I say shim, I mean main pivot shaft and surrounding components. The clicking/creak originates from here.

GT%20I-Drive%20main%20pivot%20shaft%20(medium).jpg