Advice on new bike: Orbea Onix Bira v Trek 1.9

Garry H
Garry H Posts: 6,639
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
I'm after a new bike and after a lot of consideration I've narrowed it down to two;The Trek 1.9 and the Orbea Onix Bira (The 105 equipped Onix). I'm torn between the better specced 1.9 and the carbon frame of the Orbea. I've never owned a carbon bike so do not know what the advantages are. The main advantage of buying the 1.9 for me is that I can get if from my LBS, who have an excellent after-sales servicing reputation, cost is £999. I would be buying the Orbea on-line for £1050-£1100, depending on which shop I go for, but would probably opt for Epic.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

PS I'm not looking for recommendations for other bkes eg Spesh Roubaix Elite :wink:

Comments

• markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Garry H wrote:
    I'm after a new bike and after a lot of consideration I've narrowed it down to two;The Trek 1.9 and the Orbea Onix Bira (The 105 equipped Onix). I'm torn between the better specced 1.9 and the carbon frame of the Orbea. I've never owned a carbon bike so do not know what the advantages are. The main advantage of buying the 1.9 for me is that I can get if from my LBS, who have an excellent after-sales servicing reputation, cost is £999. I would be buying the Orbea on-line for £1050-£1100, depending on which shop I go for, but would probably opt for Epic.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

PS I'm not looking for recommendations for other bkes eg Spesh Roubaix Elite :wink:

I have the Orbea Onix Bira and I can honestly say its a fabulous bike to ride. I tried a Trek 1.7 which I believe has a similar frame as the 1.9 but is lower specced, but I couldn't see any big improvement in the components. I feel that the Orbeas frame provides a better ride and is certainly a step up from the Trek. You could warrent upgrading the components later with the Orbea.