Carrying pump

allen
allen Posts: 214
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
A quick survey. Where do people carry their pump ? Back pocket, frame clip or under the saddle bag ? It just struck me today seeing someone with a pump in the back pocket that this maybe a good/bad way of losing it real quick. Any thoughts people

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Back pocket - but shouldn't due to risk of injury if I crash
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Rich_T
    Rich_T Posts: 7
    In a plastic clip that fits between the bottle cage and frame
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    On my good bike, it fits on the frame as Rich T has decribed. On my commuter/winter bike, in my pocket or in my rucksack as I do not want to leave it on the frame during the working day.
  • Tiny pump in seat post bag. Haven't had to use it yet but that's bound to mean that I'll get a flat on tomorrow's ride now I've said it :)
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    I don't carry one I carry 2 x CO2 cannisters. 2 x tubes and tyre irons. It all fits in one of the little pockets on my jersey.
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    I carried my Pocket Rocket pump in my back pocket until my crash a couple of months ago. One of the lesser injuries was from the pump which now lives on the down tube.

Red Rock
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Back pocket.

I also carry a small folding multitool which I used to have in my middle back pocket, until it occurred to me it was right beside my spine... I now carry both in side pockets and have the spare tube in the middle pocket.

Maybe putting the stuff on the bike would be a better idea.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Rich_T wrote:

me as well.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Front underside of top tube.
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    Rich_T wrote:

Ditto
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    bottle cage bracket mounted pump.

I dont know if I would want to carry it in my back pocket.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    When I'm out on my road bike I keep it in a little saddle pack with my other essential gubbins. When riding to work it goes in my messenger bag.

I used to have a pocket rocket, and on the way home from work one day it bounced out of my messenger bag. I stopped, grabbed it, and stuffed it into my jersey pocket. About a mile later I'd just overtaken a large (lorry sized) road sweeper, when I went over a speed bump and the pump bounced out of my pocket right into the path of this huge road sweeper. I didn't even bother stopping, as I figured it would be rattling around inside the road sweeper by the time I'd stopped!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    fizz wrote:
    bottle cage bracket mounted pump.

I dont know if I would want to carry it in my back pocket.

I do the same
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Sometimes back pocket, sometimes velcroed under the top tube. The velcro strap I have is used for the battery pack on my lights, so obviously I can't use it when the lights are in use.
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    Rich_T wrote:

Same here
  • campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    If its fitted to your bike you can't forget it,I speak from experience of days when I had it in my back pocket or thought I did :roll: and yes found out the hard way.Luckily I was riding in company.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    up the leg of my shorts- impresses the laydeez as well :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I'm not strong enough for those mini-pump things - nice full size HP, using Zefal widget to swop between bikes!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    Red Rock wrote:
    I carried my Pocket Rocket pump in my back pocket until my crash a couple of months ago. One of the lesser injuries was from the pump which now lives on the down tube.

Red Rock

As a relative newbie to cycling this is one of the things that concerns me esp coming from a motorbiking background, in my way of thinking anything strapped to a cyclist back can cause considerable damage in the event of a crash so it's something I avoid. My pump is strung down the seat tube.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I have a co2 inflator in the water bottle puncture kit (I dont need water on my commute) and a mini pump in the panniers.

Originally the water bottle puncture kit was supposed to be "always there" even when I went cycling without the panniers. In reality I never bother to take the panniers off, as Im too hooked on the extra space they get me from overtaking cars...
  • madturkey
    madturkey Posts: 58
    After never bothering with my pump and reading all these posts I've strapped it to the seat tube. Now I just need to work out how to fix / change a tube :wink:
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I have a light touring bike with a rack, and on all but the shortest journeys, I carry a rackpack holding my pump, spare inner tube, multi-tool and other bits and bobs.

I always wondered where people with normal road bikes carry pumps these days, and it is interesting to read that some people carry pumps and other tools in shirt pockets etc. - seems a bit dangerous to me.

Years ago when I was a lad, I recall that frames had little bosses/brackets into which the pump fitted which seemed a good idea. Why do bikes no longer come with pumps fitted like this?
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Years ago when I was a lad, I recall that frames had little bosses/brackets into which the pump fitted which seemed a good idea. Why do bikes no longer come with pumps fitted like this?
    You can still fit full length pumps to frames, it's just that they don't need brackets on the frame anymore as the pumps (zefal, blackburn etc) are spring-tensioned and moulded to fit into the corners of the frame. I have one on my commuter bike.

Ok, I admit it - I don't have a frame pump on my good bike because it spoils the aesthetics, weights a tiny bit more and is difficult to fit on when you have two bottle cages, especially with a long toptube. They also tend to fall off when you are carrying the bike. I know the first two reasons are irrational and silly, but there you go. I love my bike and love isn't rational.

I've had no problems carrying a minipump in a side back jersey pocket (it's never fallen out) but I realise it's a bad idea saftey wise. Think I need to get something dinky that can fit in a saddle-bag.

<<cue critical comments about valuing aesthetics more than my spine etc.... :wink: >>
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    Rich_T wrote:

Ditto! :D
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "spring-tensioned and moulded to fit into the corners of the frame....... difficult to fit on when you have two bottle cages, especially with a long toptube. They also tend to fall off when you are carrying the bike. "

That's why the Zefal rubber block mounts are SO useful!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    allen wrote:
    A quick survey. Where do people carry their pump ? Back pocket, frame clip or under the saddle bag ? It just struck me today seeing someone with a pump in the back pocket that this maybe a good/bad way of losing it real quick. Any thoughts people

Between my bottom bracket and top tube, as seen in this photo (I know, "wash your bike").
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I keep my min pump in back side pocket.
    Look at other post of the unlucky guy who's mini pump came out of holder next to cage and jammed between wheel and frame, crahsed and eended up in A&E for 5 hours !!
    On my winter bike I have frame fitting pumo but that has come off twice!! Lucky it fell to the floor.
  • SJLcp
    SJLcp Posts: 239
    I have seen a friend fall off his MTB onto mini pump in back pocket - he was in agony and could barely walk!

I use Zefal's under top tube away from bottle cages - if its already on the bike you can't forget it - would comment that in my experience mini pumps are almost useless - use C02 instead?
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Decent sized pump fitted to the frame:

252385460_i5Fy9-L-1.jpg

C02 inflator in seat pack and spare cartridges fitted to the frame ( now on other bottle cage )

221994844_ouFU7-L-1.jpg

Sorted.......
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Denny69 wrote:
    Rich_T wrote:

Ditto! :D

Me too. I wanted to go CO2 but as I understand they are one shot and thats it. As a kid if I got a p****ure while on the bike I would try to carry on the ride stopping and pumping up as necessary. Worst case scenario would be to ride home stopping when needed. This is what I have happening in my mind if I were to suffer the curse now. Or reaching into my pocket for my mobile :lol: