Overnight stay in Pas de Calais region

benvickery
benvickery Posts: 124
edited June 2008 in Tour & expedition
I'm thinking it would be really fun to cycle down to Dover (not too far from where I live) catch the ferry to Calais and then spend the rest of the day cycling in the Pas de Calais region. I'd then spend the night in a B&B and return home the next day.

Do you think I'd be able to pack everything I'd need in a small rucksac? My concerns would be ensuring that I'd eat and drink enough for the trip and whether I'd be able to carry enough spare parts for any eventuality. After carrying my broken bike 6 miles to the nearest train station last month I'm a little nervous about straying too far from civilisation.

I really like that part of France and I thought it would be a good, cheap introduction into touring. I've never done anything like this before and cycling 200 miles+ in 2 days would be a massive achievement.

Any comments would be appreciated.

FCN : 4

Comments

• try looking at the website of the local tourist office (office de tourisme), and also type in chambre dhote which is the name used for b&b. if you are staying in a larger town at any stage the etap hotels are comfy, usually near the town centre and cost ~ 40 euros a night. they have a website and you can book online. it's a chain, part of the accor group who do the more expensive hotel ibis.