good deed for the day

lilactime
lilactime Posts: 86
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
noticed a mobile speed camera / van on my ride today so stopped over the brow of the hill , out of site and slowed all the cars down , for a good half a hour . i do feel good !

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Wrong forum.

You should have posted this in Campaign, then sat back and enjoyed 35 pages of hate-filled replies and the odd death threat.
  • piedwagtail91
    piedwagtail91 Posts: 781
    another way to feel good is get a cheap camera with no film in ,stand near a speed camera and fire the flash when cars go past :D
  • lilactime
    i tried to exclude four wheel drives
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    My mum always told me if you've got nothing nice to say then don't say it. so :?
  • lilactime wrote:

Pah! I run a timber plantation. If you don't like four-wheel-drives, perhaps you could explain to me how I could tow a trailer-full of oak tree trunks along boggy woodland tracks in your Mondeo?
  • lilactime
    lilactime wrote:

Pah! I run a timber plantation. If you don't like four-wheel-drives, perhaps you could explain to me how I could tow a trailer-full of oak tree trunks along boggy woodland tracks in your Mondeo?
    how many speed cameras do you see along boggy woodland tracks ?
  • Rich_T
    Rich_T Posts: 7
    Is this going to turn into a "we hate 4x4's" topic?
  • ean
    ean Posts: 98
    lilactime wrote:

Swap the 4x4 and mondeo for a horse - as seen on BBC2 'Trees that made Britain'.
    The trees lie about the wind...
    www.wirralseafishing.co.uk
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    lilactime wrote:
    noticed a mobile speed camera / van on my ride today so stopped over the brow of the hill , out of site and slowed all the cars down , for a good half a hour . i do feel good !

The police are trying to make the roads safer for everyone and you think that's a bad idea :roll:
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467

You are one of the tiny percentage of 4x4 drivers that actually needs one then!
  • neeb
    That said, I agree with ean about the horse. Much better for the ground flora.

Oak takes a long time to grow, doesn't it? Is it a sustainably harvested forest? Sorry, just being nosey. :wink:
  • lilactime
    Red Rock wrote:
    lilactime wrote:

The police are trying to make the roads safer for everyone and you think that's a bad idea :roll:
    wouldnt be a copper by any chance ?
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    Red Rock wrote:
    lilactime wrote:

No. The police are being used by the government to collect an extra tax because the economy is fecked.
  • daz51
    daz51 Posts: 159
    lilactime wrote:

what an idiot !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Red Rock
    lilactime wrote:
    Red Rock wrote:
    lilactime wrote:

wouldnt be a copper by any chance ?

No, but I wish there where a hell of a lot more of them. Guess I'm lucky in that the police in these parts (GMP, Merseyside and Lancashire) are pretty good people. Even get the occasional nod/wave from police motorbikes.

Red Rock
  • Red Rock
    HarryB wrote:
    Red Rock wrote:
    lilactime wrote:

No. The police are being used by the government to collect an extra tax because the economy is fecked.

So the government somehow make you drive above the marked speed limit so that the police can book you :?

Red Rock
  • lilactime
    daz51 wrote:
    lilactime wrote:

what an idiot !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hope you get caught
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    Oh dear...what started off as a decent post is slowly turning into a slagging match!!
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    How was that a good deed? If drivers are exceeding the speed limit and you're preventing them getting caught - how's that good?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    How was that a good deed? If drivers are exceeding the speed limit and you're preventing them getting caught - how's that good?

Good point!
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    It appears there are 2 options here.

1) The OP did 'help' people not get caught doing something that is unquestionably dangerous and illegal.
    2) None of what was said actually happened and the OP is looking for attention on a internet forum and said something they hoped would cause contention.

Either way they have made themselves look a plank. Somepeople just want to be noticed I guess. Draw your own conclusions why. :oops:
  • lilactime
    , anybody out there ever flashed an oncoming car to warn of a speed camera ? if so thats illegal
  • lilactime
    but i slowed them down so they werent breaking the speed limit ? so i was doing good ? but unlike the police was not paid
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    lilactime wrote:
    , anybody out there ever flashed an oncoming car to warn of a speed camera ? if so thats illegal

Yes it is, I know a bloke at work who got a ticket for just that.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • neeb
    but i slowed them down so they werent breaking the speed limit ? so i was doing good ? but unlike the police was not paid
    You should do the same thing sometime when there isn't a speed camera ahead (i.e. slow the traffic down by making them believe there is a camera). That would be a good deed! :wink:
  • lets just hope that non of the law breaking speeders you helped go on to kill someone with their excessive speed.
    a speeding ticket could have been a wake up call to some of them.
  • lilactime
    yes fair dues , but van was parked near where i work , its a 30 mph limit , the van is there to catch people going home from work ( lots work there on shift work ) its nothing to do with safety its a cynical ploy to raise money , lots of friends have been done for being just over the limit . none have ever killed anyone .
  • st68
    st68 Posts: 219
    so if the polititians want safe roads then why dont they put speed restricters on cars problem solved but that wouldnt make any money for them to top up there wages :evil:
    cheesy quaver
  • Siechotic
    Siechotic Posts: 86
    lots of friends have been done for being just over the limit
    Over the limit is over the limit!

It's 30 for a reason.
    none have ever killed anyone .
    Yet!

Lilactime, you sir, are an idiot.
  • piedwagtail91
    piedwagtail91 Posts: 781
    edited June 2008
    motorists get fined because they choose to break the law.if they feel it's just a way for the government to collect money then surely the best thing to do is not speed and deprive the government of that money, rather than choosing to continue contributing?
    or is that too complicted for your average motorist?