Rear mech driving me crazy

Aux1
Aux1 Posts: 865
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys I really need some help, I simply can't make the bloody thing work. :evil: When I set the cable tension to be able to shift up from the smallest cog to the next one, then the cable seems too tense to allow it to shift from the largest cog down to the next one. And vice-versa, when the cable is barely un-tightened enough to allow shifting down from the largest cog, then it can't shift up from the smallest one no matter what I do. The lowest and highest gears simply won't work at once.

And yes, I took it to the LBS, replaced the cable and housing, the mech hanger, and even the mech itself with a brand new XT. I managed to adjust it twice to work marginally, but take the wheel off and on and the shifting messes itself up again. Needless to say that I read probably all the mech adjustment guides on the internet and am able to adjust any mech now except my own. So, what could be the problem? Why won't it work on both sides of the cassette? Why does wheel removal seem to mess it up?

Phew... I need a drink now and to think of something entirely different for a few minutes to maintain normality :lol:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what it come down to is the position stops. I they are not set right then you will never get it to work. adjusting the "tension" is only needed to take up any slack as the cable stretches.
    start with the stop for where the mech sits with no cable attached.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Aux1
    Aux1 Posts: 865
    Ok.. so for H adjustment, the pulley needs to sit below the outer edge of the smallest cog?

And for L, right under the largest sprocket?

Are these adjustments made with or without the chain on?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i always have the chain on, but it does not really matter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown