BACK on a bike after 18 year !

fastgrandad
fastgrandad Posts: 3
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi everyone, hope you are all well, im Mark, im 34 and living in northumberland, england. After a motorcycle accident ( not my fault lol ) back in 1991 ive been pretty much disabled in my left hip, but last september after a long long wait ive had my left hip resurfaced and im like new again lol so i got on to building a classic racer to which i was used to prior to my motorbike accident, ive built the bike, it started with just the old tatty frame of a 1991 cinelli 653, endorsed by Brian Rourke, ive stripped it all and spray painted it white and stuck the original cinelli decals back on, mavic rims, campy chainset etc, bit of a mix with the gearing ( 600 and ultegra lol ) but MY GOD what hard work it is cycling again !!!!!! my butt feels as though it has been shot and i think ive lost a lung on a run out somewhere yesterday ! the bike is running just 12 speed at the moment and i need lots more lol so im gonna sort that out by fitting 9 speed cassette on the rear wheel and changing the rear mech, oh before i go, the rear wheel hub is a miche, does this mean that only campy cassettes will fit? cheers everyone and enjoy your weekend x

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Good for you for getting back in to it.

It takes a short while to get your breathing etc, I'd recomend short runs often for a while, then build from there.

The biggest recomendation is getting some padded shorts!

Seriously, it makes one hell of a difference
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Well done Fastgrandad - enjoy the fine weather.

Second a pair of padded shorts.

Little and often is the advice I would add at this stage - and don't worry overmuch about adding to the 12 gears you have at present. How many gears did your motorbike have? !!!

Keep us posted as to progress.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    the bike is running just 12 speed at the moment and i need lots more lol so im gonna sort that out by fitting 9 speed cassette on the rear wheel and changing the rear mech, oh before i go, the rear wheel hub is a miche, does this mean that only campy cassettes will fit?

Mark - if you want a 9sp cassette it sounds as though you'll have to buy a new rear wheel (though that would mean you get to make the Campag/Shimano choice right from the start); as you're only running 12 speeds in total at the mo, it's almost certainly a screw-on 6sp freewheel which threads straight on to the rear hub rather than the more modern cassette type of sprocket set (which slides on to splines on the hub and is kept in place by a lockring). Hope this info is useful, if in doubt take the wheel into a decent local bike shop and they should be able to help.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • thanks for everyones replies, i think ill keep on with the 12 speed for now and build it up slowly ! very slowly lol padded shorts ! anyone know the best place to buy them? ebay? cheers .
  • campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    Hi Mark heres some reasonable priced shorts
    http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C8185
    might see you flying about in Northumberland :)