Sunglasses that suit cycling and daily use

mccaffertyj
mccaffertyj Posts: 29
edited June 2008 in Workshop
Can someone please recommend shades that suit road cycling and daily uses - Thanks in advance for your comments!

Comments

• mccaffertyj
    mccaffertyj Posts: 29
    Been there - done that. Was hoping for some personal feedback.

Thanks anyway!
  • Siechotic
    Siechotic Posts: 86
    ok, I have a pair of Nike Pursue that look great when riding the bike with a helmet on, maybe a bit too extreme for general day to day wear.

Nike Pursue
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp? ... gn=froogle

Out of all the glasses I've owned, probably the best for bike and day to day wear would be the Rudy Project Rydon
    http://www.sport-spex.co.uk/lev4_6_1_1_Rydon.asp

These are quite nice as well:
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductDeta ... 9799042efc

I'd ignore the prices on the sites I've linked to, they were the first I found in google. You can buy the glasses a lot cheaper elsewhere.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Personally I do not mind the sport look and have Oakley half jackets.
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Have a look on Optilabs website. They were strongly recommended in a thread about sunglasses on this form a while back, and I liked the look of them. I ordered them 2 weeks ago and they arrived promptly and with no fuss. I went for brown tinted polarised prescription lenses but theres lots of choice including non-prescription. They look good and I've never personally had sunglasses that do their job so well. They seem to strip out all the glare so that your eyes are comfortable without losing any clarity and the shape I chose fits snugly against my face without really feeling like they do. The arms are quite 'bowed' so go around the helmet straps easily. All this and I feel fine wearing them off the bike too
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Oakley flak jackets or half jackets in the less garish colours.
  • neeb
    P.S. the xjl lenses offer better coverage for cycling I think.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Bolle Recoil

10405-02.jpg

Bolle Windshear

windshear-10050-02.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • Van Nick
    Van Nick Posts: 68
    edited May 2008
    I've got a pair of Oakley Radar glasses and they're great

4666f6d632a26.jpg?1181153716
  • over-the-hill
    over-the-hill Posts: 144
    I wear Maui Jim prescription sunglasses, the lenses are the best I have ever had. They are quite sporty looking but I find I have to lift my head back further to see under the rims. I guess dedicated cycling sun specs designed to avoid this problem?

The maui jims look quite similar to the bolles in the previous post

http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 1_N__2_3_#
  • What about the Rudy Project Ekynox SX Sunglasses? Anyone got a pair of these? They look quite cool http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ens%202008
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    I've had Specilized Helix glasses with adaptalite lenses and a prescription insert since last summer and have worn them for pretty much every ride since but I don't think they would be as good off the bike.
    specialized-helix-team-glasses.jpg
  • Keanocp
    Keanocp Posts: 60
    I've got the Rudy Project Ekynox SX in silver with blue multilazer lenses. Had them approx 3 years and wouldn't swap them for anything, great fit, brilliant lenses and I love the style of the frames. Also bought yellow lenses for use in the winter.

If they suit you go for it, you won't regret it!
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    Oakley Fives work well. They're not bike specific but they sit nicely around helmet straps and I don't get any major air blasts in my eyes. I wear contacts, and some glasses can really annoy them when the wind speed gets up.

7604.jpg
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    There's a good article with ratings in Cycling Plus if you are interested in getting it this month - although they review a pair of Optilabs and give them a fairly low mark. I've got a different type than the ones reviewed to be fair, but if they meant to say that Optilabs aren't decent quality I disagree; as would a number of others on this forum.
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    I was lucky enough to win a pair of Rudy Project glasses from Pro Cycling and there great.Before I won them I used Kuota ones with 5 different lenses and found them every bit as good as the Rudy's.A mate of mine has the ones by Probikekit and swears by them for cycling and going on holiday,its just down to personal choice as theres some bargains to be had. 8)
    found the ones I had
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... UOTZGLA200
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Best for Riding, Oakley M-frames (better than my Bright yellow Oakley Radars IMO). For wearing off the bike i just settled for a pair of cheap but UV proof aviators.

Most sunglasses which look good off the bike just don't seem to work very well on the bike!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Keanocp wrote:
    I've got the Rudy Project Ekynox SX in silver with blue multilazer lenses. Had them approx 3 years and wouldn't swap them for anything, great fit, brilliant lenses and I love the style of the frames. Also bought yellow lenses for use in the winter.

Hi, how dark are the blue multilazer lenses when in use? I ordered a pair of Rudy Project Ekynox SX with the smoke lenses. Think I'll be investing in clear lenses. Mainly the wind and dust in my eyes that I am using them for however I like the look of the blue lenses.
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    caw35slr wrote:
    Oakley Fives work well. They're not bike specific but they sit nicely around helmet straps and I don't get any major air blasts in my eyes. I wear contacts, and some glasses can really annoy them when the wind speed gets up.

Another vote for the Fives...
  • Keanocp
    Keanocp Posts: 60
    Keanocp wrote:

Hi, how dark are the blue multilazer lenses when in use? I ordered a pair of Rudy Project Ekynox SX with the smoke lenses. Think I'll be investing in clear lenses. Mainly the wind and dust in my eyes that I am using them for however I like the look of the blue lenses.

I originally had the blue Lazer lenses and immediately noticed the Multilazer's were significantly brighter and seemed to offer a better contrast. The following link shows the light transmission for all Rudy Project lenses, or you could try their "Lens Simulator" but it didn't seem to be up to much!

http://www.rudyproject.com/technology/l ... 1&unicode=
  • LingfieldXC
    LingfieldXC Posts: 134
    I've been looking at getting some oakleys. I went on their website and found that you can customise your own. I think I am going to get some m frames and customise them match my trek 1.7 with white rims, black ear rubbers and red logo. They also look like they would be good for skiing too. Luckily my skiing jacket is red, white and black like my trek! I am not sure about what they would look like on the beach tho. 8)
    Your'e never alone with schizophrenia.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    homercles wrote:
    caw35slr wrote:

Another vote for the Fives...

Me too, I like them.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I've got (pescription) Oakley Gascans. They've been brilliant on the bike. Only conditions I've had an issue with them is heavy fog but living right on the North East coast fog and sea frets can be quite common.

Oh I got them in black and with polarized lenses though so to wear them off the bike I think some people might think I've left the house without a white stick. They were expensive but they're are very well made, the lenses are excellent and I can use them indoors and outdoors if necessary.

Oakley Fives were my second choice and are probably more acceptable/casual looking for off the bike.

I was in Fenwicks the other day and saw a couple of prescription ready Rudy Project designs that I took a bit of a fancy too. New bike, new glasses?
  • wileyxcqcwf5.jpg

What about these bad boys ??? ( as "Road Tested" in Iraq !? )

http://www.rvops.co.uk/clothing-eyewear-78/wileyx-eyewear-49/wileyx-cqc-ballistic-tested-1293.html

Just DON"T ASK about the price !? ( OPZ )

;-)

K
  • neeb
    Nice, but with regard to the OP's needs, they might look a little OTT as you're sitting outside a cafe in Milan sipping your espresso... :D

I still think you can't beat Oakley flak jackets for combining sports performance with classy off-the-bike looks. Equally at home with lycra or smart-casual. Wide selection of interchangeable lenses too.

30405_m.jpg
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    I got these:

http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360034788&n=Bloc%20Shifter%20XR%20Sunglasses

..because I thought that the versatility and price were spot on.

Unfortunately they are RUBBISH.

1) The paint finish on the black ones peels off to show the original blue colour underneath.
    2) At anything over 15kmh the wind whistling around the lens causes my eyes to water.

Back to my Oakleys and Killer Loops I think.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan