Ipod shuffle

martinwitnam
martinwitnam Posts: 439
edited June 2008 in The bottom bracket
I am thinking about buying one of these but was wondering how they work.
Do you decide what you put on it or does it just rip the music off your hard drive?
I need to know because if it just randomly takes stuff off your HD I'd probably end up with an Ipod full of my son's death metal.

Can we fix it?
Yes we can!

Comments

• Siechotic
    Siechotic Posts: 86
    edited May 2008
    You can choose either option.

Either your own choice of tracks or let iTunes decide what it wants to put on it.

When the tracks are on the shuffle you can listen to them in the order you put them on or as the name suggests you can auto shuffle them!
  • martinwitnam
    martinwitnam Posts: 439
    Cheers

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • Siechotic
    Siechotic Posts: 86
    Glad to be of service.

Follow the link below and you'll be clued up on what to do with your shuffle before you go get it!! :D

iPod Shuffle Instruction Manual:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1654
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    tho check out the sandisk sansa, theres a clip one. even tho it may not be fashionable like an apple ithingy, its still good as i hav an old one. make sure you hav a real decent pair of ear buds. i use creative lab, not perfect but not bank exploding expensive. anyways to avoid death metal, could rip some of your cd collection instead. always remember to make folders in the right place for your mp3 stuff. anyways all the best
  • there is something caled the creative zen stone i think which is as small as shuffle but has better features
    http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en& ... 1&ie=UTF-8
    In the valley of high oil prices the cyclist is king!
  • Tootler
    Tootler Posts: 53
    Martinwitnam.......how they work is the wrong question to ask. What you are probably wanting to know is are they easy to use and can you easily install the music that you want to install. The answer is yes, they are fairly halfwit-proof.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    I'd go for something vastly cheaper. £35 for a 1gb MP3 player is ridiculous, especially when they don't even have a screen.

For half the price, you could have one of these. Double the storage, and better features (I've used both). Combine it with decent earphones (which you need to do with the Shuffle too) and it sounds just as good.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Argos were doing an 8gb Creative for £50.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    It always amazes me that when anyone asks about an iPod there will be people queueing up to recommend something else that is allegedly better/cheaper/more stylish/whatever.

There are many reasons why iPod is the market leader.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    There are many reasons not to buy one as well. Other Mp3 players can sound better, be alot cheaper, and not make you jump through hoops just to put music on them (itunes). Apple has the style thing covered, so if you like to look at your mp3 player rather than listen to it then ipods are great.

FWIW I've used a 2nd gen shuffle and a cheap as chips Zen Stone, I prefer the Zen because it's 1/3 the price and sounds better, and I really hate itunes.
  • Soreknees
    Soreknees Posts: 68
    Anybody heard of ipod shuffles dying? Got two in the house which work fine on the computer but as soon as they're unplugged the green and orange light flashes indicating there's no music on it. Have been told it's fairly common and it's terminal. Apple web site no help so phone call to an Apple shop today. Both only about 6 months old so still in warranty.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    HarryB wrote:
    It always amazes me that when anyone asks about an iPod there will be people queueing up to recommend something else that is allegedly better/cheaper/more stylish/whatever.

There are many reasons why iPod is the market leader.
    On the big ones, there is a reason. The iPod Classic, iPod video have more storage than anyone else dpes in a similar sized player. The Touch has the touch screen, web browser, etc. Even the Nano has a use, being impressively tiny while packing in a lot of storage and a good screen. The Shuffle, however, is overpriced and under featured. It's the only one I constantly advise people against, as it's just not worth the money.
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    We've got about 5 of the things in various models ranging from the original to the Nano and now the Touch and they've all been excellent, although I've only used the Nano and Touch. The kids had the others. I don't use them for cycling but are essential for those of use unfortunate to travel on the Tube
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    whyamihere wrote:
    ]On the big ones, there is a reason. The iPod Classic, iPod video have more storage than anyone else dpes in a similar sized player. The Touch has the touch screen, web browser, etc. Even the Nano has a use, being impressively tiny while packing in a lot of storage and a good screen.

It's odd the way the rest of the market has pretty much given up on the large storage HDD type player, so you've almost got no choice other than Apple if that's what you're after. Even Iriver only have 8gb and under players on their European site now.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    In the years I had a 4Gb iPod mini the only problem I had with it was the battery life was cr@p and got worse nearer the end of the warranty so started looking at replacing the batter and was quoted £65 by the local Apple shop, £45 online. Ended up doing it myself for £20 from Maplin, though I could have paid less on Ebay. Done a battery change on a friends ipod and only a 10 minute job.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.