Bulking up grips

jed1978
jed1978 Posts: 87
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Can i overlay new bar tape on top of old, or is there a better way to "fatten" the bars?

Comments

• Nickodemus
    Nickodemus Posts: 94
    I don't know how well that would work if you were to put a lot of force on the grip; whether they'd slip or not.....not sure.

You could try this bar tape which comes with gel pads that stick to the bars underneath the tape..... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5360017408

There are probably other manufacturers of this kind of thing...
    "Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell!!"
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    edited May 2008
    yeah 2 layers is not uncommon.

AN alternative is to buy a tape that has gel pads inserts to be placed on the barrs then have the tape wound over it. Good cushioning and grip. I have the Fizik Bar Gel tape on one bike an like it a lot.
  • Siechotic
    Siechotic Posts: 86
    Fizik Bar Gel is the best wrap IMO, but if you want to go FAT, you could try Specialized PHAT Tape, it comes in several thicknesses to choose from.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Specialized also do little gel inserts. I have them on my commuter. You put them on the bar before doing the wrap.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, if you have Shimano with just the brake cables running under the tape try this.
    Make it into a fat oval grip by running something round the back edge of the bars from the hoods to the end point near the stem.
    I have used thin plastic tubing or foam draught excluder strip, both worked really well.
    Fix this in place with insulating tape and use some good foam or gel bar tape over the top.
    You end up with a very comfy fat oval grip.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I'll second the draught excluder, works well. You could also run slightly bigger tyres, 25mm are more comfortable than 23mm.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • jed1978
    jed1978 Posts: 87
    thanks guys

really a choice between changing grip tecnique/bulking grips/wearing gloves

hands are quite big and feel that the bars could do with being slightly thicker.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    Nothing wrong with two layers of tape. On the commuter I have the 2.5mm Specialized Gel inserts, then one layer of cheapo Deda tape with a layer of Specialized Bar Phat tape on top of that. I do have have HUGE hands though.