newbie question

kev2b3
kev2b3 Posts: 159
edited June 2008 in Commuting chat
I have decided to have a go at commuting to and from work.I fancy getting a mtb, due to being 289 lbs in weight i feel a mtb would be stronger than a racing/commuting bike. I have been offered a claud butler olimpus xt for £200.00, the bike is a 2005 model but its like brand new.Just wondering what you more experienced commuters think.

Comments

• JoeSoap76
    JoeSoap76 Posts: 109
    kev2b3 wrote:
    due to being 289 lbs in weight i feel a mtb would be stronger than a racing/commuting bike.
    I was in the 280s when I started commuting a few months ago on a hybrid (Ironhorse Transit 3.0 2007). Can't say I have had any weight-related issues... other than maybe feeling the need to check the tyre pressure a little more frequently.

I'm not sure about a racing bike (just because I've no experience), but I wouldn't let 289lbs be the driving factor in a choice between a mtb or hybrid.

Besides, if you're like me (getting on a bike was a massive increase in my daily exercise) you won't be 289lbs for long :D

[Afraid that I don't know about the bike you've been offered. Am fairly new to this myself.]
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Totally agree cycle commuting everyday managed to shift 5 stone in a year for me. I have just bought a racing bike (and I am still around the 200lbs mark I estimate - no scales I only weigh myself periodically) and I can't honestly tell you the massive difference it makes.

Now there is an advantage to getting a MTB that being that you will have to push harder to get a racing bike kinda speed (still won't really manage it) and you do feel less exposed in a weird way due to the lack of stiffness and the more upright position.

If you go the MTB route trust me after hauling that about for 6 months you will want a road specific bike no doubt whether that be a fixed, hybrid or racing.

I guess the biggest thing is you don't want to spend a load of money if you are not going to continue it but the heavier the bike you have the less inclined you may be to keep up with it.....gotta go with your gut instinct. I personally don't want to go back to using a fatter tired much heavier MTB on the road but thats because I have moved beyond that now both in fitness and distance.

The other thing is even at a heavy weight racing bikes and hybrids can certainly take it....simply because they look lighter and have thinner wheels they can deal with it although you may have to monitor the tyre pressure. Cycling is the best though, great exercise, enormous amounts of fun and really eats up those calories especially if you are starting from a large weight.....trust me you will notice a change quickly. Good Luck
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    Most people where I work cycle in on mountain bikes. If it's not that far (5 miles?) then it's easy. It'll have lower (easier) gears which will help if your new to cycling regularly.

The only thing I would suggest is putting some slick tyres on it. Go to your local bike shop and see what they have. They have no knobbles on them which will make you a lot faster. Pump them up nice and hard as well.

I ride a mountain bike as it's tougher. I'm light, 12 stones about 6ft but wanted a bike that would run forever and not mind the occasional flight of stairs, jump, big pothole.

If the bike is in good nick that seems like a good buy. Look for cracks on the welds and check the gears work and the wheels aren't bent.

Best take it for a short test ride, run through the gears , brake, bounce the forks a bit etc.

Google tells me it cost £1000 new??

If it's this spec that's good. Sure it ain't knicked.

OLYMPUSX-CM.jpg
  • NorwegianBlue
    NorwegianBlue Posts: 484
    Are you sure it's an XT? IIRC the Olympus range starts (or at least used to start) at about £300-400 quid). If it's one of the low end models it's still a reasonable buy, if it an XT then it's either the bargain of the year or stolen.
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • ave_it
    ave_it Posts: 16
    Hi Kev,

How far is your planned commute?

That would effect what kind of bike to go for, if it's more than 5 miles an MTB can become hard work on the road a hybrid would be a much better option.

But that bike sounds a good deal for the money.
  • woodgob
    woodgob Posts: 96
    Agree with Jon8a - I'm about same weight/height and I use an old Spesh Rockhopper but have modded it with real skinny slicks and a flat, narrow bar with stubby bar ends. My commute is no more than 5 miles each way but peppered with poorly maintained road surfaces so the rig can (and must) take a pounding.

The most noticeable change will be a relavely cheap upgrade to slicks - the difference, on the road, between knobbly tyres and rock-solid slicks is incredible. If you do this on an MTB, you get two bikes for the price of one (assuming you would want to take the rig off-road and don't mind changing tyres whenever you do!)