recommend somewhere in london to get bar tape wrapped?

gematkinson
gematkinson Posts: 79
edited June 2008 in Workshop
hi guys,
just looking for recommendations on where is a good LBS in london area for me to get my bars re-wrapped. Id love to have the confidence to do it myself but i reckon il make a pigs ear of it and i like, sorry LOVE my bike far too much to subject it to that hehe! I know of evans and to be honest after stumping up £100 for a service and they didnt even route a new cable through the bloody eyelet under the TT, id rather steer clear of them!

any ideas gratefully received!

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Whereabouts in London are you?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Give it a go, you'd surprised how well jobs you're scared of doing can turn out.

You might even then progress to more advanced things like bike building and then perhaps even wheel building!

Give it a go
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Siechotic
    Siechotic Posts: 86
    As Redddraggon says, give it a go yourself.

It's a piece of p*ss once you've done it a few times.

If you need a "How To", have a look here:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=71
  • James_London
    James_London Posts: 530
    Go on! Do it yourself - you know you want to...

You'll find plenty of how-to's online and it really isn't that hard. Depending on the tape you're using you can unwrap and re-wrap a couple of times to get it right too. Just keep the tape overlapped a consistent amount as you wind it around - about half to one third of the width of the tape. One neat mechanic tip I like is to use electrical insulating tape cut in half lengthways to finish the ends beside the stem. Looks neater and the tape supplied with bar tape is invariably rubbish for some reason.

The worst that can happen is you ruin a £5 roll of tape and have to start again or go to the LBS with your tail between your legs and get them to do it!

I keep seeing commuters with no bar tape or tape hanging off and it pains me so much I want to stop them and put some on for them on the spot...
  • XTCRider
    XTCRider Posts: 113
    Anyone double wrapped theirs, does it work , make a difference etc
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtcrider/sets/72057594126938720/

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike, I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride it where I like
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you wrap the bars with electrical tape first, you can easiliy remove the bar tape. Alternatively, use one of the gel tapes that doesn't have a self-adhesive backing - you can wrap and unwrap as many times as it takes. Tip - count the number of turns to the lever to make sure it's the same on both sides.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • toslow
    toslow Posts: 85
    d i y
    I have just done my bars after changing the cables. Believe me it is actually quite easy to do . The tip about the electrical tape is spot on as the tape supplied is pants.
  • Siechotic
    Siechotic Posts: 86
    Anyone double wrapped theirs, does it work, make a difference etc

Tried it once, I used the Cinelli Cork Wrap, and found it was too squashy for me.

I now use 1 layer of Fizik thin leather look wrap with gel pads that you put under the wrap, best wrap I have ever used.
  • James_London
    James_London Posts: 530
    XTCRider wrote:
    Anyone double wrapped theirs, does it work , make a difference etc

Double wrapping isn't that neat. Try Specialized Phat Wrap (there's a thick and extra thick version) for a really comfortable tape or put the Fizik gels underneath.

Good tip on wrapping bars with electrical tape too - I always do that and it keeps the cables secure as well.
  • venusi
    venusi Posts: 31
    Or if you're a cheapskate like me, save that little bit that's left over each time you wrap the bars and stick it to the flats of the bars underneath the tape next time you wrap them. Cheaper than gels!
  • Raph
    Raph Posts: 249
    Yet another recommendation here for the eletrical tape idea. It's more flexible than what's usually provided and the end sticks down better without lifting off so easily.

Holding down the cables (assuming you've got ergos or STI) to the bar with electrical tape (or even sellotape) before you start is a good idea and saves a lot of faffing.

I start at the end of the bar, leaving a whole width over the end of the bar and tuck it into the end and wedge the bar plug in to hold it. The way I judge the overlap is that it's a third of the width while going along the straight bit, and when you come to a bend, concentrate on making it a third-width overlap on the outside of the bend and don't worry about the inside of the bend, that'll take care of itself. I don't bother with the extra bit of tape provided to cover the back of the brake lever, but I assume it's not a big hassle to include it. The important bit is to lift the rubber lever hood and fold it over so it doesn't just flop back down again until you've taped under it. At the stem end I chop off the end with scissors at an angle so that the chopped off end is perpendicular to the bar, then wrap electrical tape around it as mentioned above to finish off.

Just looked at the website cited above - yeah, like that! They say roll the tape inwards, by chance I always roll outwards, but for no particular good reason. Never had a problem - either way is probably just as good as the other.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    £100 for a service????? :shock:
  • gematkinson
    gematkinson Posts: 79
    yep £100!!! £55 for the service, £15 bottom bracket service and £30 for brake blocks and new cables (and their fitting!)

i kinda want to get a bit more knowledge and have a bash at things myself, heaven knows i cant keep forking out that much just to tighten my bike up a bit! however on the bright side i adjusted my gear tension last night and now my gears are the smoothest they have ever been! :-)

i think im going t take everyones advice here and perhaps set aside next saturday to have a bash at wrapping my bars. the bianchi tape supplied is looking a tad ratty, and i fancy that tape with the contrasting white threading through it...

thanks very much for all your time and tips you have given guys, il continue to ask questions when you know people can be mega decent and take the time to point you in the right direction!

happy saturday riding
  • the_jackalcp
    the_jackalcp Posts: 276
    Get some Bar phat, you can't go wrong.

Also get a good book, try Zinn's bike maintenance book, and do your repairs and servicing yourself. It's not that difficult and you really don't need much more than a few allen keys, screw driver and a chain tool.
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    have you not got a gentleman friend who can help?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    here is a good little video that shows how to wrap bars:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs7BY4wKHTM