Disc troubles

heez29
heez29 Posts: 612
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys,

i have a set of formula oro k18s and im having a little trouble (well more annoyances). i recently damaged my disc and ive replaced it but now when im on and riding above a certain speed it seems to touch the pads and make a rather annoying clanky noise. However i put a little bit of pressure on the lever and theres nothing! noise is banished away. Its on the front btw.

Any remedies or suggestions?

Comments

• Pippen33
    Pippen33 Posts: 235
    Disc will be rubbing on caliper. When pressure is applied, even slight, the pads will be moving the disc away. Needs re-aligned.

Here's a pdf manual if you don't have one. http://www.formula-brake.it/pdf/pdf/Man ... ORO_GB.pdf
    spammer
  • heez29
    Disc isnt rubbing, its doing something else. It was rubbing before. Its like a metallicy hollow sound which i hear. and like i said there is no noise when i apply a little pressure on the lever. not even a slight rubbing noise.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    did you reset the caliper?

work out there it is touching and have a look at that part of the disc.

the hub is ok?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Is the noise like a metalic ting noise and is it random ?
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • heez29
    Reset caliper not done much. It stops if i set it on the pads in the 1st place :S
    Hub is fine, had to change the axle from the crash. (Was done by me but under the helpful eyes of my mates.)

metallic ting is the bingo, and kinda random. its like an organised mess :P kinda noise
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    It's because you've got Formula Oros. The rotors are very prone to ringing - it's driven a mate of mine mad. If you can get them so they make absolutely no contact at all, it'll stop but whereas with most brakes a tiny bit of contact doesn't matter, with oros, particularly 180 rotors, it causes them to ring.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Pippen33
    Pippen33 Posts: 235
    I'm running 203mm on both, and I always get it on the back, no difference with alignment. It mostly happens when turning corners at speed.

The 'rubbing noise' I mentioned earlier is the 'hollow metallic' sound you've described.
    spammer