LEJOG vis the capes

Neil Fat man on a bike
edited June 2008 in Tour & expedition
My friend and I are going to do LEJOG next May.
I was thinking we could add Cape Cornwall to Cape Wrath to the Route.
Have any of you folks done this Journey ?
I'd like to do the coast of Scotland on route.
Just wondering if any of you have done similar?

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    An impressive response :lol:
    It's not the busiest of boards, is it?

You could also add in Lizard Point, the most southerly point on the mainland, to go with Dunnet Head, the most northerly. You'll have to pass Dunnet Head as you go from JOG to Cape Wrath.
    I haven't done the route you're proposing, but I've gone up the West coast of Scotland. I was surprised how wild the countryside looked north of Ullapool. It's very scenic.

I'm currently plotting another assault on Cape Wrath in a couple of months time. I'm thinking that, this time, I might go up and across to Inverness then back west to up to Thurso and Durness. I don't seem to be able to decide which route to take though.

Are you camping or B & B ing?
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • I'll be using a mixture of hostels and b&b's.

Cape Wrath is awesome. I love the big cliffs and Kervaig bay with bothy !
    I actualy live up in Durness so know the area very well. But I don't know anything about Cornwall, Devon through to the midlands. I'm quite familier with the North West of England, but I really want to explore the west coast of Scotland.
    What route did you take?
    Any spots you would recomend ?
    What distances did you cover?
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I'll be using a mixture of hostels and b&b's.
    Your tour'll need a bit more planning, then, if you're booking ahead. I was camping, so I just stopped when it was convienient.
    Cape Wrath is awesome. I love the big cliffs and Kervaig bay with bothy !
    I actualy live up in Durness so know the area very well.
    Lucky bugger!
    But I don't know anything about Cornwall, Devon through to the midlands.
    I'm not familiar with the area either, but you'll find Lizard point at the bottom of this loopon Bikely. It's not far from Land's End.
    I'm quite familier with the North West of England, but I really want to explore the west coast of Scotland.
    What route did you take?
    Any spots you would recomend ?
    What distances did you cover?
    It wasn't all of the west coast, just Glasgow to Durness to Thurso. I didn't get to Cape Wrath because the ferry was cancelled. I'd need to get my maps out to go into detail, but roughly:
      Glasgow - Gourock, ferry to Dunoon, another ferry from Portavadie to Tarbert - Lochgilphead - Oban - Fortwilliam - Invergarry - Kyle of Lochalsh - Garve - Ullapool - Durness - Thurso
    I was travelling fully loaded so mileage was quite low, 45 miles for day 1 to Lochgilphead, but increased to 75 miles at the end.

I don't know that I could recommend any particular spots - finding the unexpected is all a part of exploring for me, but I did come across this (somewhere on the A87, I think) which I dubbed a Scottish 'Inukshuk'...

2538131667_a96766f52b.jpg

...It's only a teaser pic; there were a lot of them.

I tend not to plan too much as it dilutes part of the sense of adventure, but the scenery, the wildlife, being self-sufficient and the people I meet, rather anywhere in particular.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Sounds like a healthy philosophy for touring.
    Your route sounds pretty cool too. I fancy having a look around Killmartin, I stopped for an hour or two years ago, looks like a facinating area.
    Other than that no solid plans as such, although real ale could be a bit of a theme.

I must admit I hadn't thought too much about booking ahead, but your probably right enough. It could be quite an issue. The idea was to travel pretty light.
    Gonna have a trial run in south wales this autumn to see how this works.

Sunday 1st june and it's a sponsered cycle from Scourie to Durness for the football club 26miles of cycling with friends and having a laugh ( apart from Scourie Brae :shock: )

Cheers for the response. have good weekend.
    neil
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    My friend and I are going to do LEJOG next May.
    I was thinking we could add Cape Cornwall to Cape Wrath to the Route.
    Have any of you folks done this Journey ?
    Just wondering if any of you have done similar?

I've done LEJOG and JOGLE but have not visited the extremities that you wish to include.

Have a look at the ctc forums at http://www.ctc.org.uk you might find someone who has been there though don't hold your breath. Most folk are happy with Land's End and John O'Groats as the ends of an End to End ride.
  • ronstrutt
    ronstrutt Posts: 3,170
    edited June 2008
    Cape Cornwall is only just round the corner from Land's End so it's very easy to get to. It's like you'd want Land's End to be, free of all the tat and tourists!

Back in 2000 I did the End to End plus the Four Sides: Land's End - The Lizard - Lowestoft - Ardnamurchan Point - Dunnet Head - John O'Groats. You can read about it at www.ruralrides.net - select My End to End Routes (now corrected).

Having since done two JOGLEs, this year I'm doing Dover to Durness and out to Cape Wrath, starting out in less than two weeks time. I'll be ending up with a quick hop along the north coast to take in Dunnet Head and Duncansby Head.
  • Ronstrutt
    Do call in when your passing through Durness.
    I'm at the shop oposit the pub ( Oasis ). Conveiniant for a quick pint should you fancy.
    Have a great trip.

Unfortunitly ' page not found ' for your link. :cry:
  • ronstrutt
    ronstrutt Posts: 3,170
    Unfortunitly ' page not found ' for your link. :cry:

Oops, stray full stop. Now corrected as above.

I'll be arriving on Tuesday 24 June and staying for two nights (riding out to Cape Wrath on the Wednesday - the tides look ok for the ferry and I've not heard anything about it being closed for an exercise) so there should be no problem in meeting up. A pint sounds like an excellent idea, maybe even two!