Padded Shorts

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited May 2008 in Commuting chat
So...

Perhaps not the most pleasant of topics, but hey, it's a friday, so whatever.

Does anybody wear padded shorts for their commute? I'm guesing yes, but you know, you might not like to talk about it.

I have questions for those of you who do:

1. Do they help make hard saddles more comfy - are they not just doing the same as a sofa-saddle-cover-thing?

2. Should I actually just change my saddle for one designed more for the ladies?

3. Do you wear pants under them/trousers over them? And does that make them less comfortable?

4. Does the price difference between the basic ones and the pricey ones bring a noticeable difference in quality?

5. Any other tips?

Thanks!

Comments

• Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    1. Yes - no.
    2. Possibly.
    3. No / sometimes. Yes.
    4. Can do.
    5. Yes.

:mrgreen:

What sort of saddle have you got and what sort of distances are you doing where you're finding it uncomfortable? How long have you been riding? Shorts do increase comfort (and not just becaude of the padding), but with a decent saddle I don't think it's worth the faffing about for less than 45 minutes or so riding (ie most commutes). Your saddle shouldn't be THAT uncomfortable! :shock:
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Bib Shorts FTW
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Yes it makes the ride more comfortable, no they move with your body not the bike, thus reducing friction

Yes you should also think about trying a womans specific saddle

NO DO NOT wear anything under them, trousers are fine over the top

Yes the price between very cheap (dhb, endura, altura etc) and more expensive medium priced items does make a differance to quality and comfort. Can't comment on top of the range (assos etc) have never got my head round that sort of cost for clothing!!

Bibs are, in my opinion, more comfortable around the waist and warmer as they stop drafts up your back.
  • CadmannUK
    CadmannUK Posts: 86
    Hi,

Decent mid-range bib shorts are what I use all the time. Did have some non bib shorts, but as Batch78 said, you WILL get a draft up your back.

Don't wear anything under them. They are designed to mould/move with your body.

I would try a more woman specific saddle, but only after using some padded shorts first. The decent shorts made the most difference to my comfort.

I'll wear winter longs over my shorts when it's really cold as my longs dont have any sort of pad in them and I would like to ride without some pad ever again... :shock:

Also, I was in a pack of mixed cyclists and one lady in front of me pushed off and got her non bib shorts caught on the front of her saddle and exposed a bit more than she really wanted too.... Get bib shorts......

CAD
    **** No Mater which direction you start, its always against the wind coming back!! ****
    **** Guess RB1, Polar S725X Team Edition ****
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    If modesty is a problem you could always try undershorts like these:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360029284&n=Altura%20Tempo%20Ladies%20Under%20Shorts

and remember that both shorts and saddle are gender specific!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • cupofteacp
    cupofteacp Posts: 578
    A few suggestions and hints.

If you're female than a saddle designed for you might be better, just don't think that getting a "wide" saddle will make it more comfortable, I know it’s difficult but if you can try some out.

Padded shorts have two roles; to help cushion the ride and importantly keep you “dry” in that area helping to prevent “chaffing”. If you put on underwear then that’ll stop the shorts keeping you dry.

If you’re worried about what you’ll look like in tight shorts you can get “baggies” with padding.

As for price generally you pay for what you get, I use Endura MT500 at around £50, as I commute everyday I now have 5 pairs, not cheap I know but I’ve tried others and ended up with these. Be careful of any shorts that have a seem in the middle “down below”

Good luck, have fun
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've got a pair of Assos shorts, I don't think I'd buy another brand, near perfection.

I spend a lot of time on the bike so it was a no brainer for me.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr