dirty disk breaks help needed

bpb@wwr.co.uk
bpb@wwr.co.uk Posts: 154
edited June 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
hi i have avid juicy 5 diskbreaks with 185mm rotors, yesterday i went riding in the soaking wet at chicksands the rotors ended up getting coverd in grime. i have cleand the bike including rotors and took the pads out and wiped them with a clean rag. they used to work a dream but their bites gone the pads are relitivly new and if possible i want to use them for a while longer. how do i go about cleaning them pad and rotors any help soon please. cheers oh yes and what could be the cause and yes i did cover the rotors before using any lubes and bike spray.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    youe brake cleaner.

you did put the pads back in the same place as they came from? if not yopu will need to bed them in again.

but if you have contaminated them.... replace.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    You don't necessarily need to replace your pads even if you have contaminated them.

Wait until your mum/wife/girlfriend whoever has the oven on. When she's finished with it, pop your pads on a baking sheet with the friction material facing up. Stick 'em in the oven, turn it OFF then let it cool down.

This should burn off any oily deposits from your pads and make them good as new! I've done this any number of times and it really works!

While you've got the pads out, attack the discs with brake cleaner, isopropyl alcohol, or meths. Stick your oven-fresh pads back in and you should be good to go!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a word of waring about heating then in oven etc. you can burn the bonding agent off and then you are out there on the trail with suddenly no brakes.
    Just replace them if they are contaminated.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    By taking them out and re-installing them you probably need to rebed them and no matter how much you wipe pads, you cannot dry them because they are porous. Fix by doing about 5 high speed stops to get some heat back into the brakes, bed them in and dry them out.

In future, don't take them apart, just hose them out as you wash the bike.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • cheers guys loads of help. so whats the verdict on heating them sounds like it sould work but alo sound dangerouse. could i use a blow torch or something to avoid ruining the stuff sticking them together? i wont take them apart again though.
  • jon 0.1
    jon 0.1 Posts: 48
    hey- i tend to rub them down with a really fine wet and dry paper- its worked perfectly many times and i would recomend it :) ive also had the oven trick recomended but cant say ive tried it!
    good luck
  • i think i will try that idea because you cant go wrong. but the heating idea could work because the pads probably get very hot under hard breaking strain. i will try it with a spare pad and give you the results though.
  • Inverted8
    Inverted8 Posts: 48
    What do I do if I used bike spray for the first time and covered all the brakes in it?

I did not think it would affect the brakes, but it did. They have started to squeek when I apply them and lost some of their bite.

I guess its a lesson learnt.] for next time.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Normal bike cleaner should'nt contaminate them. Try bedding in procedure again. And clean the disc as described above.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ive done the oven jobbie on my new pads which was contaminated by fork oil.
    poped in the oven for 10 mins once cooled took them out whilst noticed they were smoking assuming thats the oil burning off.
    replaced them and HEY PRESTO no more squealing just need to bed them in now..
    defo worth a try.
    paul