Stage 19 ****Spoiler*****

pat1cp
pat1cp Posts: 766
edited June 2008 in Pro race
Cummings in a break 18.5 mins up the road.

Doesn't look like we're gonna get much coverage either, the weather is shocking.

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Did I hear them say Svitsov was in the break too?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • pat1cp
    DaveyL wrote:
    Did I hear them say Svitsov was in the break too?

Aye
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Attack off the front of the peloton - Sella and Polombe
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • If only we could see it. Grr hope we don't miss them descending down the Vivione. It was spectacular the last time they did so in 2004.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Any idea why RAI is just showing the finish line and audience? Is it the weather?
  • DaveyL
    Yeah, bad weather. The cyclingfans.com Giro player is showing occasional footage of the break - all rainjacketed up and on a VERY narrow strip of tarmac!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL wrote:
    VERY narrow strip of tarmac!

Yep. There was a lot of crashes in 2004. Insane descent.

Bad weather has grounded the helicopters. Hopefully we're not going to have a situation like that 2006 stage to Namur, when they showed barely anything except the finish line because of the rain.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    250 Moto GP practice is boring.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL wrote:
    VERY narrow strip of tarmac!

Yep. There was a lot of crashes in 2004. Insane descent.

Bad weather has grounded the helicopters. Hopefully we're not going to have a situation like that 2006 stage to Namur, when they showed barely anything except the finish line because of the rain.

That looks seriously scary in those conditions!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    See Kiriyenka is at the head of things again today. Does this boy not like riding in the bunch or something?
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    It's not often that I watch cycling racing at work and am happy to be sat in a cozy studio instead of out on my bike. Today is an exception. What awful conditions.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Picture is a total t**d, but I think Savoldelli has taken DDL and Pellizotti off the front of the maglia rosa group, on the decent of the Vivione.
    Wouldn't be a surprise if he has. Simoni seems to be sitting in Contador's wheel. No sign of the other Astana riders.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Bertie's got a couple of Astana's with him according to cyclingnews.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DaveyL
    Where's Pricco?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • pat1cp
    The LPR rider in the break has sat up and is waiting for Savoldelli and Di Luca. They might put some time into Bertie here.
  • pat1cp
    DaveyL wrote:
    Where's Pricco?

With Bertie and Simoni.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Very interesting. DDL calls his domestique back. I timed them at 1'-25" up, under the 35km banner!
    Levi's gone AWOL. Bertie's got Colom and Kloden. All the other contenders are there, but on their own. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • donrhummy
    It's still early but holy crap! Savoldelli could help Di Luca take this whole thing! They're increasing their lead. Now at 1 min 30 sec over the Contador group.
  • iainf72
    Very interesting. DDL calls his domestique back. I timed them at 1'-25" up, under the 35km banner!
    Levi's gone AWOL. Bertie's got Colom and Kloden. All the other contenders are there, but on their own. :wink:

It's very interesting. DDL is expending a bit of energy but it could work. He can suffer on the final climbs though. But everyone could lose so it's a wierd moment.
  • donrhummy
    Anyone here think they're gonna pull all or most of that back? How could they let Di Luca get away like this? Especially Ricco/Simoni both of whom are in danger of falling behind Di Luca on GC.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    edited May 2008
    pat1cp wrote:
    The LPR rider in the break has sat up and is waiting for Savoldelli and Di Luca. They might put some time into Bertie here.

Brilliant teamwork and a brave attack by Di Luca (though inevitable if he is going to have a chance at pink). But how to recover for tomorrow's climbs......
  • pat1cp
    donrhummy wrote:
    Anyone here think they're gonna pull all or most of that back? How could they let Di Luca get away like this? Especially Ricco/Simoni both of whom are in danger of falling behind Di Luca on GC.

Simoni been dropped off the Bertie/Ricco group.
  • pat1cp
    donrhummy wrote:

Savoldelli's decending was a major factor I think, Di Luca just managed to hold his wheel.
  • iainf72
    If they're dropping Gibo they're not hanging about...
  • pat1cp
    iainf72 wrote:
    If they're dropping Gibo they're not hanging about...

Gap between DDL and Bertie now down to 53". No they're not hanging about.
  • donrhummy
    Colom/Kloden are starting to pull them back. I hope Gibo gets back up there!
  • iainf72
    They'll pull him back and then shell him.

Maybe.

I have no idea what I'm talking about.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    DDL tried this a few years ago - the last time Savoldelli won - over the unsurfaced mountain they used that year
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    He cramped last time.

I remember because I laughed at him
  • DaveyL
    I think simoni did too, didn't he? And Ardila (?) rode away from them on the way up to Sestriere.
    Le Blaireau (1)