Is there a trick to...

fidbod
fidbod Posts: 317
edited May 2008 in Workshop
Changing the pedals on your bike?

I want to swap from SPDs that I use for commuting to some look keos for long weekend rides. That is if I can ever get the damn things on the bike.

I have a pedal spanner and some long allen keys for the job but I cannot get the pedals off. As soon as I try and put significant pressure on it results in the other crank turning and no pedal removal.

Any tips?

Comments

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    One very important thing to know is that the threads on the two pedals go in opposite directions!

I remember which is which by "The right pedal has the right direction thread, the left has the wrong one".

If you put the pedal spanner on so that it points to the back of the bike, pushing it towards the ground loosens the pedals.

NB There is always the danger of gashing yourself on the big chainring if the spanner slips :shock: !!!

I usually push the other pedal forwards with my hands and use my foot on the pedal spanner. If you put something like a brick under the front pedal, you can push down on that and it won't go anywhere if the pedal spanner suddenly 'gives'.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    ColinJ wrote:
    One very important thing to know is that the threads on the two pedals go in opposite directions!

I remember which is which by "The right pedal has the right direction thread, the left has the wrong one".

Quite good, but I'd probably forget that :shock:

On each Shimano pedal there is a little "Tighten ->" telling you which way to tighten the pedals - you just need to remember to turn it the opposite way to get the pedals off.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I think we've all had pedal removal frustration at some point.
    Loosening is always "backwards" ie against the pedalling direction.
    When you get them off always grease the threads when you put them back on. I recently had to retire a set of pedals that I hadn't removed for about 15 years. The grease was still intact and made removal easy (a lesson learnt the hard way on previous bikes).

+1 on avoiding gashing youself/skinning knuckes on the chainrings. I tend to wear thin long-fingered gloves and a long-sleeved top when I do this job.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    The Park Tools web site is a great resource and guide for stuff like this.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    To prevent the crank rotating:
    Place bike in lowest gear.
    Rotate crank to forward/upper quadrant (drive side 2:00, non drive 11:00)
    Place removal tool with handle pointing up and rearward.
    Apply brakes.
    Press on tool handle with one foot with gradually increasing pressure (dont stomp).
    New pedals need to have the thread greased.
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Thanks everyone.

with a bit of luck I will be able to get out on sunday with my, until now, unused keos and northwave euro-cycliste shoes.
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    jonginge has got it right ... to take off either pedal you want to turn the bolt in the opposite direction to the way the crank would be rotating were you pedalling.

it really varies between pedals IME. Look carbon pedals are far easier to get off than the wretched Shimamo sPD-SLs (nice pedals in other respects).
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    When you fit your new pedals, put a dab of grease on the threads before you screw them into the cranks, makes it much much easier to get them undone next time you want to take them off.
  • ColinJ
    MichaelW wrote:
    Rotate crank to forward/upper quadrant (drive side 2:00, non drive 11:00)
    Place removal tool with handle pointing up and rearward.
    Apply brakes.
    Press on tool handle with one foot with gradually increasing pressure (dont stomp).
    Doh, why didn't I think of that - brilliantly simple!
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ wrote:

Quite good, but I'd probably forget that :shock:
    I have a bad memory but even I couldn't forget right = right :wink: !
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    To prevent further problems I use copperslip on the threads and add a washer as well, I have had no problems from my winter hack even though it live outdoors all the time.
  • XTCRider
    XTCRider Posts: 113
    I do it as follows

Hold bike upright with wheels on ground not on a workstand

Stand next to bike on one side , place pedal spanner on pedal and clip one foot into pedal , pull up on spanner whilst pushing down with foot.
    Repeat on other side. So much easier when using your weight pushing down
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtcrider/sets/72057594126938720/

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike, I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride it where I like