Too much "calf"

sloboy
sloboy Posts: 1,139
edited May 2008 in Workshop
On my new bike, I generally feel better positioned - not over stretched, kind of more compact than I did before.

The one problem I'm getting is a tendency for calf cramp and fatigue.

So I'm going to start tweaking position a bit, and I wanted to validate my thinking:

- the aim will be to remove any toe down tendency

- that probably means I'm either
- too low AND too far forward

OR
- too high and stretching for the bottom (don't think it's this one)

Sound about right ? My cleats are as they have been for a few years, but the STA on the new bike is steeper than the old one, the cranks are shorter and overall I feel lower.

So I think step one may be to slide back 5mm.

Any other thoughts and observations ?

Comments

• SDP
    SDP Posts: 665
    without seeing you on a bike & pedalling ......none ..

either find a bike fit place or find an experienced coach ..

if you want to tinker ..

measure up a base set of figures & adjust things slowly 5mm max at any time..
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    Some riders pedal in a toes-down style without issues, while with others, this method 'pumps' the calf muscle (as in barbell curls for bigger biceps) and can result with cramps in the calves... Your own diagnosis may be on target. if your calves begin to cramp, drop back 2-3 cogs to increase your cadence to about 100+rpm, and lower the heel in an exagerated position. The cramp should disperse in a minute or two....if so, then try to train yourself to pedal with the shoe soles in a parallel-to-the-road style. We all have different bio-mechanics :shock:
    http://www.cptips.com/muspain.htm
    Cajun