Tyre question

FSR_XC
FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
I was in a cycle shop yesterday and noticed what looked like a tyre with a valve on it.

Looked like it was all in one so you just fitted on the rim.

Not wanting to look like a stupid beginner I didn't fancy asking . . . .

Am I right?
Are they any good?
When would you use them?

Why are these not used more?
Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Tubular tyre? You need tubular rims for them.

Before my time they were better than the best clinchers, but now to get the best feel from tubulars you apparantly need to buy the most expensive ones, with most clinchers being better than the cheaper tubulars.

You also have to glue the tubulars to the rims, and it makes fixing a puncture at the roadside more difficult than if you had clinchers (you can't just swap the tube).

Most Professionals use them in races, but then they have support cars to swap their wheels in a flash if they get a puncture.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Tubs are still widely used in track racing as if you get a front wheel blowout, you can still steer to a safe stop (bearing in mind you have no brakes). They can also be pumped to 170psi+ for superfast rolling. :shock:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Tubulars or tubs are still used in certain disciplines e.g. track racing or on the road with carbon rimmed wheels. Because the tyre is less constrained by the rim, the ride tends to be more supple and the handling more predictable. Their big disadvantage is that if you get a puncture, you have to replace the whole tyre, so most people only use tubs these days for racing where a puncture, regardles of the tyre type means the race is over anyway.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • FSR_XC
    Not for me then!

Excuse the ignorance, but what's a clincher?
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

• redddraggon
    FSR_XC wrote:
    Not for me then!

Excuse the ignorance, but what's a clincher?

A "normal" tyre - same as what you probably have on your bike now
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    FSR_XC wrote:
    what's a clincher?
    A "normal" tyre where it's held in place on the rim by beads
  • FSR_XC
    Ta - :? - why not just call it a tyre?

• redddraggon
    FSR_XC wrote:
    Ta - :? - why not just call it a tyre?

Tubular tyre
    Tubeless tyre
    Clincher tyre

If we called them all just tyres we'd get confused surely?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr