maps compasses and all that good stuff

le_doc
le_doc Posts: 11
edited June 2008 in Routes
routes mean nothing to me at present..

im still trying to master the old map and compass gig...

doh

tips anyone? :D

Comments

• hastings
    hastings Posts: 206
    Get a trail guide book which is a map with trails coloured in (still on a OS map though) which are very useful. There are a few around, I have one for the Brecon Beacons for example
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    sat nav is cheap and getting cheaper all the time. you can get a tomtom with actual map interface so you can see the terrain instead of just roads.
  • hastings
    hastings Posts: 206
    GPSs aren't great for cycling because you have to program the points instead of just reading off of a map. Also when you get that 'ooooh look at that downhill, I think I'll take a detour' feeling it is easier to navigate your way out with a map and compass
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Try learning to map read on foot first, keep map flat, place compass in line on top, rotate until required direction is indicated, walk.

Useful info is often power lines, and contours, both quite easy to locate and follow both on a map and on the ground.

DON'T rely purely on paths marked on the map, they often change over time, even between seasons depending on the ground and animals have a habit of wearing paths that don't exist on maps.
  • le_doc
    le_doc Posts: 11
    ta batch,

i guess its a case of practice practice practice,

ill do that :)
  • lunaeventer
    lunaeventer Posts: 420
    If you have a local orienteering club, they may hold Come & Try It events. At these local, low key events people are more than happy to give you some hints & point you in the right direction (no pun intended!!) :)
  • ive just mastered satnav with memorymap and garmin etrex ans after years with map n compass it is the bolloxx and anyone that says otherwise aint got one . after 30 years with m&p its just amazin what can be done on the pc.