Just Purchased Racer

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Hi, just purchased a second hand Raleigh Racer, picking it up on Saturday morning.

I have a Marin Front Suspension mountain bike which has been good for the last 12 years, but last year in Greece i rode an 'Ideal' rental bike which was brilliant.

I think it was the larger wheels, as my mountain bike is only 26"

The racer i've just purchased is 700c tyres which i understand is 27.5" wheels?

However, my biggest worry is i'm 17.5stone and a few years ago when i was lighter and i sat on a Racer, the tyres went flat and the rim was toucing the ground.......

How can i avoid it happening to this new bike? Do i have to purchase some high pressure tyres/innertubes?

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    you will need a track pump that can inflate the tyres to 100+PSI. Aldi were recently selling them for about £5 your local one might have some left. The ordinary inner tubes will cope.

track pumps look like this

Halfords and tesco sell them quite cheaply as well if you don't want to shell out for a quality items.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Mke sure the presure is kept up, otherwise you'll be changing and repairing tubes a lot.

You ought to carry a spare tube, and a small pump with you to get you home.

Always use ttrack pump otherwise.

Don't go mad riding, work your way in to it and most of all

RELAX and ENJOY!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Soni
    Thanks for your replies guys.

I didn't realise it was all to do with the pump!

I allways thought there were special tyres i would have to have purcahsed.

I work right next to an Aldi, just accross the road, so i'll pick one of those pumps up at lunchtime today if they have any in stock.

I'll probably be on these boards again asking more questions after i pick it up tommorrow!

Also - one more question if you don't mind me asking? The guy said that the only thing wrong with it is a bulging innertube coming out of the tyre around the valve - he said theres nothing wrong with the wheel or anything, he said the tyre just needs taking off and the innertube re-sat in the tyre, does this sound correct?
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    You might be better off with a new inner tube for it. Be careful seating the valve when you install it.
  • Soni
    Do you think the tube could be knackered then?

Also, managed to get hold of a Track Pump at lunchtime, but had to purchase from Halfords for £22.99 :evil: But also has a psi guage :D

Can't wait to get the bike tommorrow! Do some serious riding on it.....
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    I'd be very suspicius (if I could spell it :D ) about anyone selling a bike who did'nt know how to refit a tire. Is it stolen springs to mind.
  • feel
    Soni wrote:

Also - one more question if you don't mind me asking? The guy said that the only thing wrong with it is a bulging innertube coming out of the tyre around the valve - he said theres nothing wrong with the wheel or anything, he said the tyre just needs taking off and the innertube re-sat in the tyre, does this sound correct?

Could be, though if the tyre is bulging when you put pressure in it then it it is on its last legs.

If the inner tubes and tyres are old/worn it might make sense to replace them and keep the old tubes as spares if they are ok. Inner tubes are about £4 each and tyres start at about £12. Old tyres tend to punc*ure easily so new ones ( if needed) might mean more time riding and less time repairing at the roadside :wink:
  • Soni
    Hi guys, picked the bike up this morning, its quite old, but in really good nick, the tyres are really badly worn though, well - dried out is a more acurate description, with lots of nicks and ripes around the edge of the tires.

I've pumped them up to 130psi, and i can still feel the rim touching the ground when i ride - do you reckon i can go all the way to 150psi???

I've re-checked the pressure with my Track Pump Pressure Guage and the tires are keeping the pressure, so no puntures, but do you reckon they'll take 150psi?????
  • pingpong
    pingpong Posts: 97
    130 is rather high let alone 150, be careful :shock:
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "the tyres are really badly worn though, well - dried out is a more acurate description, with lots of nicks and ripes around the edge of the tires."

Old, perished, tyres will often "let go" of the rim hooks and allow the tube to escape and GO BANG! I recently destroyed 2 tubes this way, foolishly trying to save on new tyres just because the old ones were very little worn. Just perished from age.

And what pingpong said - I'd have thought that 120 way high enough for old wheels - never mind tyres!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Soni
    WORST PURCHASE EVER!!!!!

Today has been the worst day ever, and this Racer is the worst purchase EVER!!!

I fluctuate between 17.5 - 18 stone and i posted about my weight before purchasing the Racer and people reckoned it would be fine....

However, i've now popped 3 innertubes this afteroon.

The first was bulging out of the side of the tyre and went BANG!

So went to shop and purchasd a new innertube for £5.00, fitted it, used the existing tyre, no bulging, started riding and BANG!

Went back to shop, bought another £5.00 innertube, and to play safe purchased 2 brand new tyres from Halfords for £11.99 each, and went back home, fitted tyres and new innertube, started riding bike again and within 5 minutes BANG!!

Its getting a little embarassing now that i've popped 3 innertubes this afternoon - i live in a small cul de sac and each time the innertubes pop it sounds like somebody being shot....

My Mrs reckons its my weight, i fluctuate between 17.5 - 18 stone,

Do you reckon i'm too heavy for a Racer??
  • meagain
    "Do you reckon i'm too heavy for a Racer??"

Depends how you define "racer". Ceratinly sounds as if you ARE for THAT "racer" (which it almost certainy isn't) wearing those wheels and tyres.
    d.j.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Are you really pumping them up to 130 psi each time? It only needs the slightest flaw in the rim or tyre (or tube) to cause a blowout under those sort of strains.

Did you blow a hole in the sidewall of the new tyre? If so you'll just keep blowing out. So either you need new wheels, new tyres (again) or both.

I got a track pump today and so I finally have a gauge (a £20 Giant pump from Putney Bikes). I pumped my tyres up harder than normal and it still only read 80psi. Either I am an enormous wimp when it comes to pumping, or 100+psi would be way too much for a 12 and a half stone rider.
  • meagain
    Perhaps "back to basics"? WHAT bike/wheels? Age? How much did it cost?
    d.j.
  • feel
    don't think your weight is the main problem. I have seen plenty of people of similar weight on racing bikes as meagain said what bike/wheels (if there is a name) and what size tyres? Also when they went bang how did they p*ncture? when you take the tyre off there are a lot of clues to the cause when you look at the position and damage to the inner tube. Is the tube p*ncturing on the inside/next to the wheel - if so you need to check out the rim tape and the condition of the wheel and spokes under the rim. Its very important to not nip the inner tube as you install it.
    This LINK might help you avoid common tyre change probs. It is amazing how many new posters have major probs with punctures when they first start.

A bit of investment and some TLC could turn your bike into a trusty, loved and characterful steed for years to come. I have two drop handle bar bikes, A modern one that retailed for approx £900 and the other an old 21 speed steel tourer. Which is my favourite? - too close to call.
  • Soni
    biondino wrote:
    Are you really pumping them up to 130 psi each time? It only needs the slightest flaw in the rim or tyre (or tube) to cause a blowout under those sort of strains.

Did you blow a hole in the sidewall of the new tyre? If so you'll just keep blowing out. So either you need new wheels, new tyres (again) or both.

I got a track pump today and so I finally have a gauge (a £20 Giant pump from Putney Bikes). I pumped my tyres up harder than normal and it still only read 80psi. Either I am an enormous wimp when it comes to pumping, or 100+psi would be way too much for a 12 and a half stone rider.

The last time it blew out it was pumped up to 100psi.

I hope i haven't blown a hole in the side of the tyre - can this happen????

When it blew out for the last time today i got the right hump with it and threw the bike in the garage and left it - i didn't bother checking the actual new tyre, i didn't think it would have damaged it!

I really don't want to have to go and purchase ANOTHER tyre - this is becoming expensive....
  • Soni
    meagain wrote:
    Perhaps "back to basics"? WHAT bike/wheels? Age? How much did it cost?

700c rims, Raleigh Racer, 80's style, cost £41.00