sram or shimano????

rolaball
rolaball Posts: 13
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
hi guys.just upgrading my kraken,everything changed apart from frame.whilst stripping the frame from its crappy paint and decals.the rear mech etc got damaged(should have stripped in total,bull at a gate...)The sram shifters are fine,so looking to upgrade,but what sram gear saet is best,or should i change to shimano.any help from the experts would be very welcome :D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you have a SRAM shifter, then you need a SRAM mech (except SRAM shifters with names not numbers).

I'd go for an X7.
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    SRAM has advantages with it's 1:1 actuation in that it can quickly be repaired on the trail.
  • supersonic
    Not sure why that means Shimano can't be repaired quickly lol. But it does have its advantages - better when gets really gunky, and indexing more likely not to wonder.
  • toslow
    toslow Posts: 85
    I would stick with sram . x7 seems to have a really positive shift . shimano in my limited experience seems to be more temperamental when things get wet and muddy.
  • switchback18
    switchback18 Posts: 617
    edited June 2008
    rolaball wrote:
    but what sram gear saet is best,or should i change to shimano.any help from the experts would be very welcome :D

All depends on what feels good - if the shimano shifters seem to be in the right place for your fingers, go for them, if they fell totally weird compared to your SRAM ones stick with SRAM. Everyone'll have an opinion about what lasts longest etc. One thing I know is older XTR rear mechs last for ages - I had one off ebay that looked used for about £25 18months ago, but with no wear at all - it's had loads of use/abuse and it still looks great.

Also if you go for shimano, in my experience, XT shifters seem to stay sweet for way longer than deore or LX.

Hope this helps you, or anyone else.

www.chasingtrails.com
  • dhxcme
    edited May 2008
    Not sure why that means Shimano can't be repaired quickly lol. But it does have its advantages - better when gets really gunky, and indexing more likely not to wonder.

Shimano is a 2:1 actuation and so tuning is slightly more difficult. Also 1:1 actuation tends to have less drift than 2:1 and cable strecth has a significantly less effect.
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    only ridden sram on bikes borrowed from work and after using sram id have them any day, currently on shimano deore and xt shadow on the coiler but cant upgrade because of my v10 im saving for. Sram is very precise shifting and as said shimano does tend to wander a bit after cable stretch and there a b1tch to set up and index, was on the trail today with it telling me i was in 4th when the dial says third so bike ends up upside down with cable off and plyers pulling it tight then using the barrel to tighten it right up, took ten mins and still didnt work perfectly, so get sram X7 or X9 :D
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • supersonic
    I find it takes 10 secs longer to set up hehe. But once cables are bedded in, cable stretch is not an issue. I prefer the smoother click of Shimano to the kerchung of Sram! I do run both though.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I have found no difference in setting up Shimano & Sram rear mech's, both are just as simple & easy as each other.

Having used Shimano for ~20 years & converting to Sram 2 years ago I can say that I prefer Sram, the shifting doesn't go out of synch after a few rides & the shifts feel more positive, you know that you've shifted a gear with Sram, much more so than with Shimano.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • dhxcme
    SRAM gets smoother with higher numbers till you get to X9 and X0 which are the same apart from X0 has loverly carbon bits. Compared to shimano i find SRAM is silky smooth and real easy to use.
  • supersonic
    I find it the other way round - SRAM very mechanical and clunky, shimano smooth and slick.
  • dhxcme