Completely New, looking for training guidance!

ChrisA08
ChrisA08 Posts: 3
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Hi All,

This site looks great, think it will be very useful for me a true beginner!

I havent cycled as a kid but have decided to jump in feet first and I'm registered for the Manchester to Blackpool ride in 6 weeks. This is partly to force myself back into training and party to raise money for something important to me.

I really want to make the most of the next 6 weeks so would love some training advice. apologies if this is elsehwere on the site and I havent seen it yet, any pointers welcome!

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Hi Chris, welcome aboard. Not a complete pro here but I reckon you need to build up your core fitness and ligament strength first by gradually building up your mileage over the next few weeks, spin a fairly light gear to start with build up you "muscle memory", plenty of recovery rides. Oh and you'll need padded shorts and pleny of bum lube!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • ChrisA08 wrote:
    I really want to make the most of the next 6 weeks so would love some training advice. apologies if this is elsehwere on the site and I havent seen it yet, any pointers welcome!

Easy -- get on yer bike :) The more you cycle, the easier it gets. If you're reasonably fit and in good health, have a half-decent bike, and aren't in a hurry, you could probably cycle from Manchester to Blackpool right now. So all you have to think about is doing it more easily and with fewer rest stops :)
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Just build up.

Doa circular route, build up to higher mileages.

Have a rest day or teo between rides.

Build gradually and don't go mad
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Chris - Robmanic has advised "plenty of bum lube" - this is only necessary on the London to Brighton ride and even them only if you are stopping over in brighton.

Good luck - all the advice here is good - the most important being to enjoy it and to make up as many excuses as possible to get out on the bike - its a drug!!
  • madturkey
    madturkey Posts: 58
    Agree completely with the advice to get on your bike. It's all about the miles.

I'm training for Paris - Geneva later this year after getting on a bike for the first time in Aug last year. Every ride I do I seem to get faster / more comfortable / less knackered. Bum lube does help though :wink:
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    Hi, If you are just getting into it then you probaly won't want to get too scientific just yet. However here are some good cycling training articles if you want to know some moe specifics.
  • ChrisA08
    ChrisA08 Posts: 3
    Brilliant, thanks everyone!

I think ill give the bum lube a miss but the padded shorts sound useful!!

Im just gonna do as much as I can but im glad to hear that I could probably do it today, definitely eased my mind!

And I would like to get scientific...no point doing things by halves!

I'll let you know how I get on and how much I raise, and hopefully i'll be hanging around on here!

Chris