Does anybody else get abuse from passing cars?

cexton
cexton Posts: 83
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
It seems I get abuse everytime i go out riding! I haven't done anything wrong its normally young lads in cars shouting as they go past.

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I can honestly say that I've only ever had something shouted at me twice and I cycle about 7000 miles a year.

What are they shouting?
  • cexton
    cexton Posts: 83
    To be honest I can't really hear what they are saying it just scares the s**t out of me when I am not expecting it.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    cexton wrote:
    It seems I get abuse everytime i go out riding! I haven't done anything wrong its normally young lads in cars shouting as they go past.

Ah yes, "young lads" sure explains a lot. Guess they don't have anything else to do
    in life so they are out there trying to showoff or whatever and you're an easy target.
    Happens here in the states too. So you're not alone. It's just idiot kids.

Dennis Noward
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    It happens to me fairly frequently, it's just a fact of life unfortunately.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    I get that a bit, the last time they were stuck in traffic a little further down the road, should'v seen them frantically trying to wind the window up! Gave a cusory bang on the roof on my way past (I was feeling brave as it was a car full of teenage girls :wink: ).
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Yep, usually 2 or more kids in a Saxo/Corsa/Nova. Dcks basically. I'm hoping that the rise in fuel prices might actually keep some of them off the roads. They'll soon only make the most essential journeys, like the ones to the local B&Q carpark or MacDonalds, and only the odd doughnut will be affordable.
  • sibike
    sibike Posts: 257
    Happened to me quite a lot last year ,hav'nt had any abuse yet this year (still plenty of time )
    Usually boy racer saxo's and they try and get to close as well ,even had one of them try and swing a punch at me !
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    cexton wrote:
    Over the years, Ive...
      Had White Van Man slow down when overtaking me so that his passenger could lean out and do a full green gob in my face. Had eggs thrown at me. Had bottles thrown at me. Been screamed at by someone who leapt out at me. Had a bucket of water thrown at me. Had a lunatic and his drug-crazed mates try to run me off the road when I was impertinent enough not to stop instantly from 30 mph when he decided to pull out directly in front of me. Been attacked by dogs many times, but it's always okay because they "don't bite"! And so on and so forth...
    Such is cycling in built-up areas in the UK these days.

In Spain, the only grief I've had is from foreign tourists. Most of the time cyclists get a very friendly reception. I cycled past a school there once and all the kids ran over and started chanting "Miguel! Miguel!". I'm about Big Mig's size, but I don't look anything like him - they were just being friendly.
  • robmanic1
    Sh*t country, this! :(
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

• APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Funnily enough, I was in France last weekend and a driver coming the other way wound his window down to shout 'bravo' as I struggled up the climb. French drivers clearly have a different perspective on cyclists :wink:
  • robmanic1
    APIII wrote:
    Funnily enough, I was in France last weekend and a driver coming the other way wound his window down to shout 'bravo' as I struggled up the climb. French drivers clearly have a different perspective on cyclists :wink:

The Frenchies are spot-on when it comes to cyclists (apart from the one who knocked me off at a roundabout), I've had a similar thing in France, different attitude to life altogether (Garlic munching surrender monkeys though they are). Same in the Canaries too, so much respect given to cyclists.

That's it, I'm off, where's me passport? 8)

• JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    This happened to me a while back when I was riding home from work.

I was on the A$ between Bath and Bristol going into Saltford and was minding my own business when a tw@t in the passenger seat of a Corsa (its always a cheap Vauxhall isn't it) came past me and shouted as loud as he could at me, I nearly went into the hedge. Anyway about 100 yards down the road they hit traffic and I caught up with them and knocked on the window, I did give the 17 year old idiot a rollocking explaining that I could have been injured etc, he apologised and that was it, on my way I went.

Next thing I knew the traffic started moving and the idiot did it again!!!! then once again they got caught in traffic, I caught them up again and basically told this idiot to get out of the car with his mate (who was in the back seat) and we could have a friendly chat (I don't condone this but the red mist had decended), he declined and the girl who was driving started getting abusive, so I gave them all a mouthful and went on my way.

I got about 200 yards down the road when the fcuking twats did it again, I could not believe it, I was honestly shocked. And then as if by magic the idiots got caught up in even more traffic, this time I just cycled past and smacked the wing mirror off the car with my pump, I stopped about 50 yards up the road and waited for the aftermath, they drove staright past.

I do not normally act like this but the honestly almost knocked me off my bike and did me some serious injury. I did think through my actions later on and in hindsight should have just reported them.

Revenge did feel good though. :twisted:
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I was climbing a 20% hill the other day with a car following me up. As I crested the hill (and was trying to avoid puking up a lung) the driver pulled up alongside me, wound down his passenger window, and called out "well done, mate" whilst giving me the thumbs up.

They're not all bad, you know!
  • robmanic1
    I was tw*tted around the head by some t*sser in a knackered Vauxhall Cavalier (pattern emerging?), I was ready to kick off big time, they slowed a little further down the road, there were four of them in the car and I was still shouting and effing at them, on reflection I could have had my melon kicked in, but the adrenaline starts to flow doesn't it, I'm pretty sure I would have taken one of them down with me though!

• markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Climbing up Mousehold(Norwich) the other night a car full of 20yo nutters slowed up and one leaned out and swung a punch at me! Luckily he missed but as usual with these types they do it when mob handed so I had no option but to ignore and carry on. Shame really as the last person who swung a punch at me ended up in hospital with a fractured upper and lower jaw, lost six teeth and had his nose broken( I knew 20 years of judo would come in handy)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    markos1963 wrote:
    Climbing up Mousehold(Norwich) the other night a car full of 20yo nutters slowed up and one leaned out and swung a punch at me! Luckily he missed but as usual with these types they do it when mob handed so I had no option but to ignore and carry on. Shame really as the last person who swung a punch at me ended up in hospital with a fractured upper and lower jaw, lost six teeth and had his nose broken( I knew 20 years of judo would come in handy)

I'm with you. If you must fight, then break bones. This sends a lasting and very meaningful
    message to the person you did it to and they will think twice about doing it again.

Dennis Noward
  • sibx
    sibx Posts: 102
    At least once a ride for me. I've had stuff chucked out of cars at me and the lot. Worst one was a full can of coke which split open on my handlebars and flew straight up, the open metal edge missing my left eye by millimetres. I've been smacked by passing van passengers as well, which is always a strange one.

Sadly the roads are full of idiots. Yes there are plenty of good drivers, but the stupid ones taint the reputations of the majority, as with most things in life.
  • prevailrob
    prevailrob Posts: 13
    markos1963 wrote:

I was cycling up Mousehold Ave towards Gurney Rd Tuesday night and got a heckle from some youths. Didn't expect any less really. But its shocking to see its come to that (physical), especially here in Norwich. Maybe I've been naive but when reading about this kind of violence around the country all the time recently I've always said to myself that Norwich was different and couldn't imagine it being as bad. I was never the model youth but would never even dream of doing such a thing, but then again I was brought up in Spain and as someone else said before, there seems to be more tolerance there as there is in France and Italy. I wonder if its because cycling isn't as obscure as it is here (to the general public), since they each host a big tour.

Rob
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    My Folks live in the South of Frace and I take my bike whenever I go over to visit, the roads are in good condition and more importantly quiet, however when you do meet another vehicle they are respectful of you and give you space and sometimes shouts of encouragement.

They do however have a 1 meter law over there and if as a motorist you have an accident with a cyclist, then you are automatically guilty till it's proven the cyclist was in the wrong, I reckon its the other way round over here.

And just to make you all jealous, I am off over there in 2 weeks and am taking the bike. :D
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    edited May 2008
    prevailrob wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

I was cycling up Mousehold Ave towards Gurney Rd Tuesday night and got a heckle from some youths. Didn't expect any less really. But its shocking to see its come to that (physical), especially here in Norwich. Maybe I've been naive but when reading about this kind of violence around the country all the time recently I've always said to myself that Norwich was different and couldn't imagine it being as bad. I was never the model youth but would never even dream of doing such a thing, but then again I was brought up in Spain and as someone else said before, there seems to be more tolerance there as there is in France and Italy. I wonder if its because cycling isn't as obscure as it is here (to the general public), since they each host a big tour.

Rob

Sorry to say Mate that Norwich isn't as nice as it used to be, in the 20 years I've lived in the area I have seen it go down hill fast. Working on the railway brings it all to the fore anyway. I was threatened with phyisical violence in front of my 11yo son and a packed train one saturday afternoon by 3 thugs who were so abusive that women and children were crying with fear over what might happen. And for what?, 3 quids worth of fare that they didn't want to pay. :cry:
  • LingfieldXC
    LingfieldXC Posts: 134
    remember on the day of th tdf prologue last summer i was cycling to hadlow, a car pulled alongside and asked if i was lost - i laughed so much I allmost fell into a hedge. thats the only time i'vehad anything shouted at me. I will say hi or nod to anyone I see who would notice, like pedestrians horse riders and other cyclists. It is surprising how many people are surprised to hear a freindly "good morning"
    Your'e never alone with schizophrenia.
  • LingfieldXC
    LingfieldXC Posts: 134
    remember on the day of th tdf prologue last summer i was cycling to hadlow, a car pulled alongside and asked if i was lost - i laughed so much I allmost fell into a hedge. thats the only time i'vehad anything shouted at me. I will say hi or nod to anyone I see who would notice, like pedestrians horse riders and other cyclists. It is surprising how many people are surprised to hear a freindly "good morning"
    Your'e never alone with schizophrenia.
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    JesseD wrote:
    this time I just cycled past and smacked the wing mirror off the car with my pump, I stopped about 50 yards up the road and waited for the aftermath, they drove staright past.

I do not normally act like this but the honestly almost knocked me off my bike and did me some serious injury. I did think through my actions later on and in hindsight should have just reported them.

Revenge did feel good though. :twisted:

Well done...I'm not condoning this but I've used this technique on a couple of drivers round my way who pulled out on me and then had the balls to start screaming at me because THEY didn't see ME......I'm 6ft2, 20+stone I wear a bright blue jacket and always have a flashing LED on the front regardless of weather....what exactly didn't they see!!!!!

Deserve everything they get and if it takes taking a wing mirror they'll probably think twice about doing it to a cyclist next time...well done you!!! it's about time we had a dig back :D

As for reporting them.....nothing would've happened.
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • st68
    st68 Posts: 219
    i was in the alps last year riding up to les deux alps an got cut up by a range rover shock horror it had british number plates the only time in 8 days
    cheesy quaver
  • johnnyc71
    johnnyc71 Posts: 178
    I have been shouted at numerous times - just sounds like some random moronic noise.

Last year I crashed my bike approaching a roundabout (my fault). I got up dusted myself off and cycled the final mile home, only to get a face full of greasy kebab and chips hurled at me from a kindly passing motorist. It was raining - so the fat congealed quickly!

BTW I'm a veggie so it was doubly bad, I could accept a quorn burger now and again.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    johnnyc I shouldn't laugh, I know, but your postscript made me chuckle :)

I cycle 15 miles through central London every day and the only abuse I get from drivers or passengers is when they perceive I am at fault for something. Tempting fate probably, but I have a theory that most people who regularly drive in the centre of town do actually, by and large, know how to drive.
  • lwilks
    lwilks Posts: 6
    About a year ago I got the 'Use the f***ing cycle path' shout from a tw*t in a white van.

He got stopped at the red light and when I caught him up I said 'I will when they finishing building it!' to which he looked sheepish, turns out he was one of the contractors!

Other popular ones round here are 'My gran goes faster than that!' but I do ride a single speed as my commuter so probably a fair assessment! 8)
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    lwilks wrote:
    About a year ago I got the 'Use the f***ing cycle path' shout from a tw*t in a white van.

He got stopped at the red light and when I caught him up I said 'I will when they finishing building it!' to which he looked sheepish, turns out he was one of the contractors!

Other popular ones round here are 'My gran goes faster than that!' but I do ride a single speed as my commuter so probably a fair assessment! 8)

:lol::lol:
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • I get fairly frequent verbal abuse, usually from the kind of person who drives a battered small car with a stick-on plastic mock-spoiler on the back. There is a word for people like that, but I'm too polite to use it.

It's irritating, but then I think that if the worst thing I have to put up with in my life is rudeness from immature, unintelligent people, it's not such a bad deal.
  • Garry71
    Garry71 Posts: 96
    A question for those who have had abuse regularly:
    Do you get more aggro when wearing lycra than if you were wearing normal clothes?
    I haven't got any lycra clothing, but I get cut up more in a tracksuit than if I'm wearing jeans and a normal looking jacket.

garry
    Cycling is too nice to waste it on getting to work.