Merlin Malt 4

llanelwyewok
llanelwyewok Posts: 7
edited August 2008 in MTB buying advice
I've just sold my '04 spesh stumpjumper fsr comp (sml) as I've had enough of the creaky back end and additional weight. I'm going back to the hard tail and fancy the look of the merlin malt 4 with the '08 XT groupset.
I'm 5ft 6", I'm assuming the 15" frame will be suitable and also has anybody any personal experience of this machine? I'm no daredevil and want a good all round bike.

Comments

• artillerydave
    artillerydave Posts: 715
    you will not find an unhappy Merlin owner and if you can get up to the shop you will not be disappointed. I have had loads of Merlin bikes and recommend them very highly.
  • jamieayres
    jamieayres Posts: 282
    I reckon you would be ok on a 15.5", and fairly sure if you email Merlin that is what they will recommend you. But really you want to go down there to be 100% sure as some people sometimes need a different size than usual due to the short top tubes on Merlin bikes. I went down there after being recommend a 15.5" over email (im 5'7"/30" inside leg), but due to my body shape preferred a 17.5" Rock Lobster (same geometry). Glad i made the 400mile round trip :shock:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I find merlin tend to recommend sizes a little too small - but as above, trying them out is the best way.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    my malt4 is a 17" and i'm a bit under 5'9", 31"ish inside leg. i'd guess with mine you'd need the post down 1-2 inches and the saddle a little more forward or a 15" with a longer seatpost. that's assuming you're of similar proportions to me. at a wild guess the 17".
  • Thanks for the response, I've been to Merlin today to check the sizes and have a quick spin. The 15" was spot on and I've now placed my order, waiting 2 weeks will be a pain but at least I know it'll fit. Looking forward to hitting the trails on a hardtail again!
  • lordmerchant
    lordmerchant Posts: 378
    I'm 5ft 10 Have a merlin malt 4 with the xt groupset, great bike, 17inch frame is absolutely perfect for me!
  • danhx
    danhx Posts: 165
    I'm 5ft 10 Have a merlin malt 4 with the xt groupset, great bike, 17inch frame is absolutely perfect for me!

Gave up waiting for Wiggle to supply a Focus then?
  • i'm 5'9", inside leg 31 1/2", and the merlin malt 1 in a 17" is perfect for me. cracking bikes for the money, enjoy! :)
  • danhx wrote:

Gave up waiting for Wiggle to supply a Focus then?

yeah, got an email when shipment arrived, all forks were scratched, and offered me £20 off!!!

cheeky gitts so jumped ship to merlin did not regret it for one second either!