National 10 TT - how fast?!?

Richie G
Richie G Posts: 283
edited May 2008 in Pro race
A bit slow posting this (i've actually had work to do this week!), but the times from Sunday's National 10 are jaw dropping! 28 men under 20 minutes and some seriously quick times from the women and juniors. Is that the faster ever? By the way, well done to Ruth (21:32!!), although i guess it must be frustrating to be so close to the medals.

Rich

Comments

• Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    I was stunned by the times too, I'd imagine it must be a very fast course, but still very impressive.

I raced with Emma Trott (not that I knew who she was at the time, and I'm sure she doesn't know who I am!) at Hillingdon earlier this year. I think she was treating it as a traing exercise, It must have been like a gentle sunday morning club run to her judging from that time!

I think I might have to enter the next event on that course just to get some perspective on how fast the times really are.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    It was apparently a very quick day too, as some riders who'd raced the course previously were 1'00-1'30 quicker.

As you said Rich, so many riders under 20 minutes and almost a few comp records. I wonder if there's been a faster national 10 before? I reckon not.

Hutchinson was in a league of his own again.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    His position looked interesting - didn't he have the tri bars pointing upwards - is this getting common in TTing now I've only seen the pros do it before.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Yes, the two courses used (the men's event was on a different but similar course to the women's and juniors' events) were extremely fast. The traffic volumes were very high too - far higher than I'd normally be prepared to race in - and of course that helps when you're looking for speed.

But yes, Hutch was absolutely incredible. Julia Shaw and Joanna Rowsell were mighty impressive too, perhaps Julia more so because she's not a full-time cyclist nor a Team Pursuit World Champion (and she did win!).

Thanks, RichieG, it was a PB but I don't take much pleasure in a traffic-assisted PB. (But if I could only do a 21 on my local course.......... that would be something special! :D ) I note, though that you cleaned up a handicap prize at the weekend? Well done! :D

Ruth
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Hutchinson was in a league of his own again.
    18-07 is the 2nd fastest "10" ever recorded in the UK after Wiggins' 17-58 in 2006
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Richie G wrote:
    A bit slow posting this (i've actually had work to do this week!), but the times from Sunday's National 10 are jaw dropping! 28 men under 20 minutes and some seriously quick times from the women and juniors. Is that the faster ever? By the way, well done to Ruth (21:32!!), although i guess it must be frustrating to be so close to the medals.

Rich

Hi there.

Hutch's time (18:07) was the 2nd fastest ever time in an open 10. Only Bradley Wiggins has gone faster with an astounding 17:58 on the super-fast, 'ski-slope' that is the Levens course. The late great Jason McIntyre recorded a 18:15 on the Levens course too.

Cheers, Andy
  • andrewgturnbull
    Sorry Bronzie - our posts crossed...
  • Bronzie
    Great minds think alike and all that :wink:
  • Richie G
    Yes, the two courses used (the men's event was on a different but similar course to the women's and juniors' events) were extremely fast. The traffic volumes were very high too - far higher than I'd normally be prepared to race in - and of course that helps when you're looking for speed.

I'm surprised that they chose such a busy course for a big event - i guess the promise of quick times might add to the attraction for some.

Thanks, RichieG, it was a PB but I don't take much pleasure in a traffic-assisted PB. (But if I could only do a 21 on my local course.......... that would be something special!

Just out of interest, how much did you beat your previous best by? I thought the times were about a minute better than i expected, which is why i was so amazed.

I note, though that you cleaned up a handicap prize at the weekend? Well done!

I'm really chuffed with that. It was touch and go whether i'd take part, as i was full of cold - it's been nice telling people i've 'won' something for a change! By the way, that certainly wasn't a fast course! (good fun though!) :D
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Hutch's time (18:07) was the 2nd fastest ever time in an open 10. Only Bradley Wiggins has gone faster with an astounding 17:58 on the super-fast, 'ski-slope' that is the Levens course. The late great Jason McIntyre recorded a 18:15 on the Levens course too.

Cheers, Andy
    Didn't Chris Boardman do a long 17 in a club ten in the lead up to his first hour record? It would have been on the course that I always knew as the Chester Industrial Estate course.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Richie G wrote:
    I'm surprised that they chose such a busy course for a big event - i guess the promise of quick times might add to the attraction for some.
    It surprises me why anyone wants to race on a course like that but the fact of the matter is that testers flock to events on such courses. Compare the massively oversubscribed entry to the National 10 with the failure to get anything like a full field for the National 25 next week or last year either for that matter. (The National 25 courses this year and last are far from quick courses.)
    Just out of interest, how much did you beat your previous best by? I thought the times were about a minute better than i expected, which is why i was so amazed.
    My previous best on record was 22.07, on a local course (the K33) which is fine but not especially fast. Don't be amazed - there really isn't anything especially impressive about going fast with a constant stream of traffic in two lanes going in your direction, a very smooth road surface, no wind and just one very straightforward turn to negotiate. (Tho the guys had an extra RAB too.) All those 19-minute men would still be the same very very good riders if the course was a slow one and they all did 20's instead. What IS impressive is that Hutch, Shaw and Rowsell managed to be so far ahead of the competition in those very favourable conditions.
    I'm really chuffed with that. It was touch and go whether i'd take part, as i was full of cold - it's been nice telling people i've 'won' something for a change! By the way, that certainly wasn't a fast course! (good fun though!) :D
    I would much prefer to race on such courses, but unfortunately the only way I can come up against a large field of women is at national championships. Hence I tend to ride them wherever they are. :(

Ruth
  • Richie G
    Don't be amazed - there really isn't anything especially impressive about going fast with a constant stream of traffic in two lanes going in your direction, a very smooth road surface, no wind and just one very straightforward turn to negotiate

I see what you mean, although the only way i'm gonna do a 21 is on a motorbike! Sounds like the weather was a bit more favourable in the south on Sunday. We had a very blustery NE wind to enjoy! :roll:
  • Bronzie
    andyp wrote:
    Didn't Chris Boardman do a long 17 in a club ten in the lead up to his first hour record? It would have been on the course that I always knew as the Chester Industrial Estate course.
    Quite possible but being an evening 10 it wouldn't qualify as an official record as the course would need to be verified as correct distance and time keepers would have to be approved as well.
  • Jeff Jones
    Bronzie wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Quite possible but being an evening 10 it wouldn't qualify as an official record as the course would need to be verified as correct distance and time keepers would have to be approved as well.
    I've read it was 17'54 but no, it doesn't count as the official comp record. Still, it's bloody quick.

Wonder how Hutch would fare in a Tour prologue?
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • andrewgturnbull
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    I've read it was 17'54 but no, it doesn't count as the official comp record. Still, it's bloody quick.

Wonder how Hutch would fare in a Tour prologue?

Hi there.

If the last commonwealth games was any indication, then maybe top 10? Hutch did jokingly comment that there wasn't enough traffic on that course!

Boardman has done an club 18 - that's why i said 'open' 10.

Personally I'm miffed that Ruth has just dipped inside my pb!!!

Cheers, Andy
  • Jeff Jones
    If the last commonwealth games was any indication, then maybe top 10? Hutch did jokingly comment that there wasn't enough traffic on that course!
    LOL! I think he'd be capable of a top 10 in a prologue as well. I suspect we'll never know though.
    Boardman has done an club 18 - that's why i said 'open' 10.
    Yep, I know. Here's where I read it: http://cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/News.asp?ID=81
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • I rode the National '10' but unfortunately i was one of the few riders who didn't PB (or even get near :cry: )

The conditions were obviously very good, it dried out for the later riders and the wind was minimal. I didn't actually think the traffic was that heavy - yes, it was busier than a evening club 10, but it wasn't a constant stream of lorries!!

Hutchinson's ride was stunning, several spectators have suggested that he was doing ~ 45mph on the last mile or two :shock: :shock:

It's worth adding that the event was extremely well organised by the a3crg club!