Prevailing wind directions in France

Ashley_R
Ashley_R Posts: 408
edited May 2008 in Tour & expedition
Trying to come up with a weeks touring in France, have a half baked idea of getting the ferry over to Calais and then cycling to Cherbourg

Would I be better doing it the opposite direction as in the UK the prevailing wind direction is usually south westerlys?

Any other advice on routes around that area greatly appreciated
You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead

Comments

• rich_pcp
    rich_pcp Posts: 113
    In theory west to east would be better but who can say. I don't imagine you'd get howling gales unless you're very unlucky.

The way I do routes is to look at the map and decide roughly where I want to get to in terms of mileage, then find a nearby town that either has a campsite or likely choice of hotels/B&B and then choose a route via minor roads.
    I also make full use of tourist offices in the towns on the way who usually offer great assistance even to the point of phoning up hotels and chambres d'hotes for you.
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    yes - west to east is better for wind - normally a good stiff sw breeze blowing along channel - also finishing at calais gives you more flexibility with ferries - these are the two theories i have succesfuly implemented on the last three week long trips i have done along there

im doing calais to stavanger in three weeks time and definetly headwind through bened and northern germany came into my thinking when i decided which way